List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1139326

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THELWALL NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarringtonUnitary AuthorityGrappenhall and Thelwall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 NW GRAPPENHALL C.P. THELWALL NEW ROAD (south side) Thelwall

1/24 Church of All Saints

II

Church: nave 1843 by J.M.Allen; chancel 1857; north aisle, vestry and west porch 1890 by William Owen. Rockfaced sandstone with steeply pitched grey slate roofs. Nave of 6 bays has lancets, buttresses and corbel-table; west bellcote has 1 bell; chancel of 2 bays has 2-light plate-tracery windows to south and 3 lancets with stilted quatrefoil window above, to east; north vestry and north aisle combined have 2 lancets, with stilted quatrefoil above, to east, 2 triple lancets in arched recesses flanked by single lancets, to north and 2 lancets with trefoil window above, to west; the west porch, ornately moulded, has door on south side; the west end of nave has 2 lancets with trefoil window above. Interior: The nave arcade has 2 small and 2 large arches (a: b: b: a) on octagonal piers; the nave has arch-braced trusses; the chancel has floor of marble and coloured glazed tiles, and scissor-trussed rafters; vigorous reredos has 2 panels of Biblical scenes in marble separated by plaster angels from 2 painted panels on each side. (Elijah; St.Michael; St.George; St.Werburgh). Fresco over chancel arch. Glass in a nave window to Sir W.P.Rylands (with wire drawer at work); in north aisle to Henry Stanton. Good tablet, 1906, by Eric Gill in classical painted wooden case by F.C.Eden and Helfar Bros. commemorates the foundation of Thelwall by Edward the Elder in 923.

Listing NGR: SJ6496987416

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 64969 87416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 06:48:57.