List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1139279

Location

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPESTHORNE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthoritySiddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SIDDINGTON C.P. CAPESTHORNE PARK SJ 87 SW

6/82 Chapel of the Holy Trinity (formerly listed as Chapel at Capesthorne Hall). 14 4 67

GV II*

Chapel. Dated 1722 on original iron pennant to bell turret, altered 1887. By William Smith of Wergs. Red Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Nave and apsidal chancel. South front: Projecting plinth with stone moulding to top. Stone quoins to corners. Nave of three bays. Doorway to left with semi-circular arched stone surround and keystone containing double 3-pannelled doors and fanlight. Circular window above with four keystones. Two windows to right of this with semi-circular arched stone surrounds with keystones and stone aprons below windows. Moulded stone cornice above supporting balustrade. Balusters with heavy concave lower bodies. Square piers supporting swagged ball finials. East wall: central projecting semi-circular apse. Blind arched window to centre and two similar blocked windows to either side. The central window was circular with 4 keystones before the alterations of 1887. Interior: Raised family pew to west end with raised and fielded panelling to interior. In 1887 the interior was considerably altered. The box pews were replaced with a college chapel arrangement of facing pews. The triple-decker pulpit supported on terms was cut down and placed to the left of the apse. The panelling of the lower walls was raised in height. Wooden pilasters placed at the sides of the windows framing terra-cotta panels to the piers by George Tinworth. The heavy panelled ceiling was also added with gilded pendants and rosettes and the chancel windows filled. The mosaic reredos in an alabaster surround is by Salviati's and loosely based on Giotto's Dormition then in the Davenport collection at Capesthorne.

Listing NGR: SJ8401272728

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84012 72728

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:31:20.