List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1139274

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, PEOVER HALL PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityPeover Superior

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59112

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEOVER SUPERIOR C.P. PEOVER HALL PARK SJ 77 SE

5/73 Church of St. Lawrence

5 3 59

GV I

Church. South chapel of 1456; North chapel probably of 1648; Tower of 1741 probably by J Garlive. Nave of 1811 by William Turner of Whitchurch. Ashlar walling with leaded roofs to north and south chapels. Red English garden wall bond with stone dressings and plain tile roof. Western tower, nave, northern and southern chapels. Southern chapel: Two bays, moulded plinth and string course, angle buttresses to corners with offsets. Central buttress widening at base where wall is thickened to accommodate tomb-recess inside building. Gargoyles over all 3 buttresses. Windows have transitional tracery, very shallow curve to sides of pointed arches and hood-moulds which have carved heads as label stops. Battlemented parapet. Porch to left of the same build with chamfered arch. Northern chapel: Plain ashlar lower walls. Three lunette windows to north wall and one each to east and west walls all with cyma-moulded reveal. Console cornice above and to pedimented gable ends which have plain tympana. Tower: Three stages. Stone plinth and quoins and bands between stages. West face: Central door With stone reveals and archway with projecting springers and keystone, now blocked with rubble to lower half and C19 stained glass above. Oculus to first floor stage with 4 keystones to top and bottom. Stone surround to arched belfry opening above with sunken panels to reveals and projecting keystone and springers to arch. Louvres to opening. String course above this. Parapet has stone piers to corners and centre of each side with stone finials and coping. C19 vestry to north side, south side similar save for pointed arch to left. Body of Church: Four bays, one Decorated 2-light window to left of the southern chapel and a canted bay to accommodate the organ to the right, both of late C19 date. Northern side has windows loosely based upon those of the south chapel with similarly shallow curves to arches. Interior: South Chapel: Two-bay arcade to nave, central octagonal pier with moulded base and capital supporting chamfered arches. Similar archway to porch now divided by C20 glazed screen. Tomb reveal to centre of south wall with 4-centered archway and ogee cresting with crockets. Alabaster effigies of Sir Randle and Lady Mainwaring, he in armour. C19 panelled roof replacing a truss roof for which figurehead corbels are now redundant. C19 screen to nave. North Chapel: Three-bay arcade to nave with semi-circular arches. Diamond-patterned alabaster floor. Pilaster strips with moulded bases and capitals between windows. Wooden strapwork ceiling with pendants and sunken diamond-shaped panel to centre with coat of arms in relief. Free-standing marble sarcophagus with effigies of Philip Mainwaring and his wife Ellen 1647 both lying in praying position, he in armour. Two alabaster tomb slabs to Philip Mainwaring and his wife, 1573 and Sir John Mainwaring and his wife, 1586. Nave: A replacement of the earlier body of the church with undivided nave and chancel. Replaced sarcophagus with recumbent praying effigies of John Mainwaring and his wife, 1410. The design of the tower is very similar in its details to that of the Church of St John Baptist, Knutsford (q.v.) by John Garlive and is attributed to him here for that reason. The north chapel of 1648, is one of the earliest regular classical buildings in the region.

[Source:]

Nicholas Pevsner & The Buildings of England: Cheshire, 1971. Edward Hubbard

Listing NGR: SJ7720873518

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Other
Part 6 Cheshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 77207 73517

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 02:11:43.