List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1139162

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, NORLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityNorley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORLEY C.P. NORLEY ROAD SJ 57 SE (North Side) 4/20 Church of St.John Evangelist

GV II*

Church: 1878-9 by J.L.Pearson. Tooled ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof. Later C13 style, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and vestry, central tower and north transepts. Gabled buttressed porch at left end of south side approached by 11 steps. 2-centred double-chamfered arched entrance on colonnettes. 2-light nave windows with quatrefoil plate tracery. Broad, sturdy tower divides nave and chancel and has a taller similar window in lowest stage, clock in the middle; the top stage has pairs of moulded 2-light louvred bell openings with line of corbelling above. Delicate band of ball ornament carries plain parapet with triangular coping. Lancets in the chancel, and the east end has a trio of tall windows with Y-tracery with a pair of blocked quatrefoils above. Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle whose columns become more ornate towards the sanctuary, from round to multi-shafted. Splayed reveals to aisle and nave windows, and wagon roof to nave. Crossing arches on clusters of colonnettes. Chancel has simple sedilia and oak reredos. Willis organ in the transept. The square font with quatrefoils probably comes from the earlier church of 1835.

Listing NGR: SJ5607572830

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 56075 72830

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:40:56.