List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1139159

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityDelamere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57441

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DELAMERE C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 56 NE (North Side) 6/15 Church of St Peter 3/1/67 GV II

Church: dated 1817 on tower by James Gunnery at the expense of the Freemasons, much altered 1878 and vestry of 1915 (Pevsner and Hubbard). Ashlar buff Manley sandstone. Welsh slate roof. 2-bay nave and south aisle, short transepts, 1-bay chancel, south porch against west tower. Decorated style. Gabled porch has broadly moulded 2-centred arched entrance on colonettes. 3-light rectangular nave windows have trefoil-headed lights. Transept has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a label mould. 2-light rectangular window with similar tracery. 4-light east window. North side has a window with Y-tracery from the original building. Small tower has diagonal buttresses and simple bands at each stage. Very plain, chamfered 2-light windows and lancets. Embattled parapet on band with gargoyles; pyramidal cap to tower. Interior: Entry into internal porch and area under the tower. Beneath west window is brass plaque recording the laying of the foundation stone and the architect's name. Short nave has west end with tower arch flanked by doorways with Caernarvon arches. 2-bay arcade to south aisle on plain column. Wide chancel has 2 pierced Gothic arch-braced trusses.

Listing NGR: SJ5603268577

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 56032 68577

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:49:22.