List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1139156

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityGreat Budworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 67 NE GREAT BUDWORTH C.P. HIGH STREET South Side

6/74 Church of St Mary and All Saints

8/1/70

- I

Church C14-1527, Thomas Hunter mason of the C16 parts; windows repaired 1848-63; refurnishing by A Salvin, W Butterfield and J Douglas later C19. Red sandstone with low-pitched roofs, probably leaded, not visible. West tower, aisled nave with south porch; transept chapels north and south; chancel with south and north chapels, the last now organ chamber and vestry. 3-stage tower 1500-1520 (c.f. St Helen, Northwich) has diagonal buttresses, octagonal south-west turret, replaced oak west door in ornamented archway surmounted by band with carved coats-of-arms, decayed carved panel to each side of door, Tudor-arched west window; band; small arched bell-ringers' window on north, west and south face, eroded bas-relief panel on north and south face and clock on west face; band; paired 2-light bell-openings with transomes and stone louvres; crenellation with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave has 4-light panel-traceried west and south windows to aisles, 3-light north aisle windows with intersecting tracery; south clerestorey windows with Tudor arches and 4 lights with alternating basket-arched and trefoil heads and 4-light north clerestory windows with rudimentary panel tracery; plain crenellated porch with door of broad oak boards and square 2-light aisle window above; restored north door. South transept chapel has ornate 4-light south window with panel tracery, altered 3-light west window with intersecting tracery and restored lancet to east. South chancel chapel has priest's door and 3-light south and east windows with panel tracery. 5-light east window to chancel has transitional curvilinear/panel tracery. North chancel chapel has panel-traceried east window of 3 lights, a blocked opening And a 3-light north window with transitional curvilinear/panel tracery. North transept Lady Chapel, C14, has gabled buttresses, two 2-light east windows, a 3-light north window with panel tracery, priest's door and a restored 3-light reticulated window under a depressed arch. All elements are crenellated; diagonal corner buttresses; many and varied gargoyles. Interior: Tower arch simply recessed in 3 orders. Nave arcades of 6 bays; that to north has 3 square piers with half-round responds, east, and 2 with concave corners between responds and arches with big convex mouldings; that to south, later, has concave corners and triple shafts on each face and lighter arch mouldings; carved heads and other motifs on capitals of north arade; panelled oak camber-beam roof without bosses; shafts and 2 bands articulate the clerestorey. Restored camber-beam roof to south aisle; rebuilt roof with no features of interest to north aisle; chancel arch has continuing mouldings and no capitals; rood-loft arch north; line of former roof above arch. Lady Chapel (north transept), with stone screen by Salvin, has oak roof with unbraced crownposts and massive tie-beams on brackets. Warburton Chapel (south transept) has panelled camber-beam roof of oak with ornate principal beams and ovolo secondary beams. Chancel arcades of 2 bays; wagon roof. South chancel chapel has restored or replaced oak camber-beam panelled roof; organ chamber and vestry has replaced roof with no features of interest. C15 octagonal font; benefactions board, 1703, at west corner of south aisle; Glass of E window, south chancel chapel east window and vestry east window by Kempe; Lady Chapel glass 1965 by Fourmaintreaux/the Whitefriars Glass Studio; benches in south chapel probably C13; medieval stone altar in south chapel; damaged effigy of Sir John Warburton, died 1575; monument to Sir Peter Warburton died 1813; iron screen to south chancel chapel 1857; organ 1839, repositioned 1857; pulpit 1857; lectern 1888; choir prayer desks by John Douglas circa 1883, admired by T Raffles Davison. A most satisifying largely Perpendicular chuch with a few Decorated features and C19 restoration showing the influence of Rowland Egerton Warburton, an early patron of the Vernacular Revival. Pevsner and Hubbard The Buildings of Cheshire; T Raffles Davison The British Architect 12 December 1884.

Listing NGR: SJ6648177518

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
'The British Architect' in The British Architect: 12 December, (1884)

National Grid Reference: SJ 66485 77523

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 04:26:07.