List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1139134

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, THE VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityWhitley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57588

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 67 NW WHITLEY C.P. THE VILLAGE Lower Whitley

5/119 Church of St Luke

8/1/70

GV II*

Church, a chapel rebuilt at expense of Thomas Touchet late C16 and roofed early C17; the exterior altered and much restored 1864 and later. English garden wall bond brown brickwork with stone dressings; grey slate roofs. A small church with west porch, north-west bell-turret, organ chamber, 1879, expressed as south transept, chancel and polygonal-apse sanctuary. Softwood-framed west porch on brick plinth; small, square, diminishing turret with 1 bell in stone belfry and slate spire. Mullioned windows of red sandstone have round-arched lights; pointed 3-light East window with rudimentary tracery. Interior: Outstanding hammer-beam arch-braced collar trusses, 4 in nave and 3 in chancel, have richly-carved scrolly console brackets with volutes and foliar patterns on main faces and humorously small Atlases and beasts on the lower scrolls struggling to support the overhanging brackets; good turned drop finials; lower arrises of hammer-beams, principal rafters and purlins have recesses carved with corbel-blocks; split quatrefoil windbraces in chancel. roof. Common rafters and roof-boarding replaced. Pointed stone chancel-arch contemporary with roof. Sanctuary and oak screen look mid-Victorian; organ 1879; late C19 glass in memory of Frances Belcrow.

Listing NGR: SJ6143678869

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 61436 78869

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 07:58:49.