List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1138927

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityRainow

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58061

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NE RAINOW C.P. SALTERSFORD

3/150 Church of St John the Baptist

14/4/67

II*

Church: nave and chancel dated 1733 and built by local subscription and tower added 1755. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 1 stone chimney. 2-storey nave, 1-storey chancel and vestry and low 3-stage, saddleback tower. Nave has 3 fixed 20-pane windows below and 2 above. East window of chancel is 3-light casement with lancet above. Studded 5-board west door has rubble segmental head. Breaking projecting rubble band above are 2 stones the upper reading "3 :John : Bap:ts. Free Chapel was, June 24th 1733, Erected". Partly erased tablet below reads "....At John Slacks expence in 39 made sacred for worship of Almighty God". 2nd stage of tower has door to gallery on south side reached by external stone steps, and 3rd stage has rectangular bell openings with stone flag louvring. Interior: West porch has stone flag seats. Nave has west gallery and complete set of simple oak box pews, a pulpit and carved reader's desk. Chancel opening has a wooden lintel from which hangs a screen with turned balusters. Similar balusters in altar rail and wainscotting behind altar.

A very picturesque church in its moorland setting, built in a vernacular style with its interior and exterior surviving intact. Also known as Jenkin Chapel.

Listing NGR: SJ9838676589

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 98386 76589

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 11:23:04.