List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP

List entry Number: 1138867

Location

CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityAlderley Edge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58218

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 NW ALDERLEY EDGE C.P. CHURCH LANE

4/52 Church of St. Phillip.

GV II*

Church: 1853 and south aisle and spire 1857 by J S Crowther, vestry added 1903 by F P Oakley. Hammer-dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roof of bands of green, grey, and blue-grey slates and a pierced ridge. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. 6-bay nave and aisles, each under own ridge, 3-bay chancel, hexagonal vestry and 4-stage south-west tower and spire. Aisles have bays, divided by buttresses, each containing a 2-light window. Similar chancel but with priest's door with trefoil cusped head and ornate iron hinges, and ending in diagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. East window of 4-lights has ogee shaped hood. Tower has angle buttresses. Deeply rebated porch door on 3 colonnettes has label mould on carved head stops, single lights in next 2 stages and ornate surrounds to 2-light lourved bell openings. Tall spire has 3 levels of lucarnes. Interior: 6-bay arcade has round columns to north aisle and octagonal to south. Chancel arch stands on engaged semi-hexagonal columns. Chancel has a sedilia on the south wall and a piscina on the north both with trefoil cusped heads. Finely carved reredos of Last Supper (of 1903) and delicate panelling to simple choir stalls, pulpit and organ screen of 1907. Morris window of 1873 in south aisle. Wagon roofs throughout.

Though built in 2 stages the church must have been conceived as a whole and has a powerful exterior, correct in its detailing by the co-author with Bowman of Churches of the Middle Ages.

Listing NGR: SJ8418878628

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84188 78628

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:00:54.