List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1138795

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityMiddlewich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56361

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLEWICH C.P. HIGH TOWN SJ 76 NW 2/30 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II*

Church, largely circa 1500 with a little C12 work inside and heavily restored by Joseph Clarke 1857-60. Red sandstone with low-pitched roofs. North-west tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with chapels continuing from nave aisles. Crenellated 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, west window to vestry with intersecting tracery and panel-work, clock faces to west and east and 2-light bellringer's chamber window to north and south, paired 2-light bell-openings under single ogee hoodmoulds, quatrefoil band below parapet. 4-light panel-traceried aisle and chapel windows, north door with square-topped 4-light window above, 2-storey south porch with 3-light window over doorway, 3-light clerestorey windows. Canted west end to south aisle and east end to south chapel. 2 panel-traceried 4-light windows to east end of south chapel, reticulated east window to chancel flanked by 1-light window to each side, 5-light panel-traceried window and basket-arched doorway in east end of north chapel. Crenellation with crocketed pinnacles above buttresses. Interior: Nave of 4 full and 1 narrow bays;the narrow bay is at east end with late Norman pier and chancel respond in each arcade, the other bays are Perpendicular with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Camber-beamed, panelled oak roof with carved bosses. Oak trusses to south chapel roof. Chancel arch has continuous moulding and no capitals. Chancel arcades have 2 4-centred arches south and 2 probably earlier arches north. North chapel has 1 basket-arched truss on carved-head corbels. C16/C17 screen to chapels, restored, with small carvings; screen overthrows now in tower vestry, one inscribed ANNO DNI 1632: Peter Venables, the other, from Kinderton (north) Chapel has many painted heraldic panels. Continental east window glass, 1860; late C19/early C20 memorial glass, stalls and 1 carved misericord in chancel (north side).

Listing NGR: SJ7039066250

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 70390 66250

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 06:25:38.