List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1138611

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GOLDFORD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityBickerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 55 SW BICKERTON GOLDFORD LANE



4/3 Church of the Holy Trinity

12.1.67

II Built as chapel, within Malpas Parish, 1839 by Edmund Sharpe became parish church in 1869. The chancel dates from 1875 and the baptistry replaced the west porch in 1911 (dates inside church). Red sandstone with slate roof, in Lancet style. Single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, small octagonal west baptistry. Triple lancet window to chancel (east) gable end, three separate stepped lancets to nave (west) gable end and single lancets elsewhere, all have stained glass and labels above. The vestry projection (north) and organ chamber (south) give the church a cruciform plan. Weathered plinth, clasping buttresses to chancel, buttresses between nave windows and angle buttresses to nave corners. Nave entrance (west) has pitch pine door with Gothic head and ornamental strap hinges which is fronted by a timber and leaded-light porch which is framed off a low stone wall. The apex of the porch is timbered and boarded and has a pitched roof. Gables have copings with kneelers and the west gable and single bell-cote. The baptistry has a pyramidal roof with cross finial. Interior: Oak panelled reredos. Communion rail on triple heavily scrolled metal supports. Oak memorial screen, with head tracery, surmounted by oak cross has the inscription "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends". The oak pulpit is integral with the screen. The Oak organ case is inscribed "Praise ye the Lord". There is a pair of oak vestry doors with tracery heads and inscription, an oak lectern and alabaster memorials to former vicars on the nave walls. An octagonal stone font with wood and metal cover is inscribed "one Lord-one Faith-one Baptism-one God and Father-one body-one spirit-one hope". The Baptistry has oak panelling to window sill level. Chancel and Nave have scissor-braced rafters.

Listing NGR: SJ5101153550

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 51011 53550

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 09:25:16.