List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1138586

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, BADDILEY HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityBaddiley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 65 SW BADDILEY C.P. BADDILEY HALL LANE

3/2 Church of St. Michael

12,1.67

GV I

Parish church, chancel 1308 (dated vicars list) nave 1811 (Pevsner). red brick in Flemish bond and brick nogged timber frame with tile roof. Low 2-bay chancel, loftier 3-bay nave. The chancel (east) gable has cruck blades rising from vertical corner posts. There is a small trefoil window in the apex of the cruck, at yoke level, and a stained glass, 3-light "Y" tracery, memorial window, with rounded head, at altar level. The chancel north and south elevations are brick-nogged close-studding without rails. The chancel south door is Gothic headed with vertical boards externally and horizontal boards internally. It is hung on strap hinges, has oakcased lock and old metal latch. This is flanked by 3-light round-headed mullion windows with leaded lattice glazing and old coloured glass. Part of the chancel has a sandstone plinth. Lean-to-vestry has small window with intersecting tracery. The nave has a weathered, projecting, sandstone band, one metre above ground level, and is divided into bays by 3-bricks wide by l½-bricks deep pilaster-buttresses between windows and the corners.

Gothic headed 3-light nave windows with intersecting tracery, rectangular leaded lights, stone sills, springers, keystone and hoodmoulds. The windows nearest to the east gable, both sides, are blocked. The nave (west) gable-end has pairs of brick pilasters flanking an inset porch with Gothic head, springers and keystone. The porch contains side seats and a pair of double-faced panelled doors. The gable has planted timbers with plastered panels and is surmounted by a replaced, louvred, bell turret which sits astride the ridge. Interior: Oak communion rail, with splat balusters in Jacobean style, inscribed W:W D:CW dated 1701. Arch-braced rafter roof with high collars and ashlar pieces giving continuous curve, also an internal jointed cruck. One early C16 bench end with linenfold panelling and poppy-head. Marble wall memorial to Sir Thomas Mainwaring dated 1726. A six-panel door leads to the small vestry.

A screen, originally of six moulded posts, supporting a C15 style moulded beam at eaves level, separates the chancel from the nave. The plastered wall above this is divided into five panels by painted columns and the panels recite The Lord's Prayer, the 20th Chapter of Exodus, The Commandments and The Creed. The centre panel has two coats of arms including the Royal Arms and the date 1663. A three-tier panelled pulpit fronts the screen on the north side of the nave: this is softwood with Gothic headed panels. The nave is fitted with softwood bead-and-flush panelled box pews. Octagonal stone font contains alabaster vessel with flame shaped knob. The west gallery is supported by four 3-shaft timber columns and is fronted by Gothic headed panels. The access to the Gallery is via a staircase of winders. At Gallery level two wall panels record wills of benefactors who left money to the poor of the parish. The nave ceiling is formed into panels by C15 style moulded purlins supported by moulded cambered tie beams with braces to carved timber bosses. Plastered wall and ceilings.

Listing NGR: SJ6051150344

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 60512 50344

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 08:04:15.