List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1138557

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityWistaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57015

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTASTON C.P. CHURCH LANE SJ 65 SE 8/105 Church of St Mary the Virgin. (Formerly listed as Church of 12.1.67 St Mary)

GV II

Church, dated R.P.1827 on inscribed brick, by George Latham of Northwich with additions and alterations of 1884 and 1905. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. Western tower, nave and chancel. Astylar Tower of three stages and of square plan. Western face: stone plinth common to whole building. Slightly projecting door surround with stone surrounded pedimental top. C19 double doors with fanlight over. Abutting the door surround is a ½-glazed barrel-vaulted walkway connecting the church with the parish hall of 1905. (Neither the walkway nor the hall are listed). Stone band above, Square window to the ringing chamber of 3 x 2 panes with a stone sill. Stone band above this below the belfry stage which has an arched window set in a relieving arch with a stone band at the level of the springing. Cyma-moulded string course above this below the level of the parapet which has stone corner piers with obelisk finials. The North and South sides have quarter-circular projections joining them with the western end of the nave at the level of the lowest stage. These each have one-quarter conical roofs. Above this both sides are similar to the western face save that the window of the bell chamber is replaced by a circular stone clock face with a moulded edge. Nave: North face; four round-arched windows with stone sills and a central stone panel which is rectangular and blank. Similar to south side but with a projecting lower transept to right hand bay of 1882 in similar style to the earlier building and with 2 round-arched windows to the west and one to the east and southern sides. Hipped roof. The vestry which has a keyed oculus window adjoins the east side and also the chancel which was rebuilt and extended in 1882 and has one southern and two northern windows and three eastern lights all of round arched form and all having panelled ashlar surrounds. The eastern gable end has a gable in the form of an open pediment. Interior: The nave ceiling has 3 Panels, the central one being octagonal with a large rosette to the centre bordered with anthemia. The chancel screen is richly moulded and has an inscription - TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF EDWARD DELVES BROUGHTON DIED OCTOBER 6th 1889. Oak panelling to chancel with oval sunflowers to the upper panels and Agnus Dei and Alpha and Omega signs to the reredos. The right hand chancel window is to a design of Burne-Jones and was made by William Morris and Co. Source: Nikolaus Pevsner - The Buildings of England : Cheshire and Edward Hubbard

Listing NGR: SJ6813053625

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 68130 53625

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 02:13:15.