List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1138532

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WHITCHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityDodcott cum Wilkesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD SJ 64 SW 7/38 Church of St Michael l2-1-67 GV II Church. 1769 with additions of 1886. Built for the Cottons of Combermere. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. The C18 church was of cruciform plan to which two further transepts and a chancel were added in 1886 as well as a new west wall and a north western porch and a bellcote. Western end: slightly projecting brick plinth with a chamfered top. Pilaster buttresses to either side. Ashlar band upon which the three round arched windows rest with ashlar surrounds and an ashlar band at the level of the springing of their arches with keystones above. Stone cornice above this with a plain frieze. Above the pilaster buttresses are ashlar fluted drums with conical caps and ball finials. To the gable is a circular clock face in a square surround with a swan-necked pediment above with a stylised wafer and chalice set between the two halves of the pediment. Ashlar coping to the gable with a cross to the apex. To the ridge behind this is the bellcote which is of timber with a lead roof and splayed wooden body which has a round-headed arch to each side and weather-cock to the summit. The northern side has the porch of 1886 to the right which has a round arch with a console keystone and an ashlar band at the level of the springing. Pedimental gable above with a carving showing St George slaying the dragon. To either side are porthole windows. Behind the porch is a blocked round-headed window and to left are the two C18 bays being a transept with a round arched window of two arched lights with a circular light to the apex. Projecting keystone and springers. Pedimental gable above with an ashlar surround. To the left again is a similar window. The southern side of the nave is similar save that no porch has been imposed and it therefore has 3 symmetrically disposed bays. The chancel addition of 1886 has to its southern side a vestry at left to the right of which is a single-light round-headed window. The northern side has a transept at right with 3 arched-headed lights and a porthole light to the pedimental gable and a cross to the apex. To the left is a single light round-headed window. The eastern end has a tripe round-headed lancet window contained within a round relieving arch which has ashlar springers and keystone with clasping pilaster buttresses to either side and fluted drum finials with conical caps as at the western end. The church was noted by Dr Johnson on his visit to Combermere in 1774.

Listing NGR: SJ6068542575

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 60685 42575

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:12:40.