List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOSTOCK HALL

List entry Number: 1138416

Location

BOSTOCK HALL, BOSTOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityBostock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOSTOCK C.P. (Off) BOSTOCK ROAD SJ 66 NE 5/7 Bostock Hall 10.3.53 G.V. II* Country House. c1775. Probably by Samuel Wyatt with additions and alterations of c1850 and 1875. Red Flemish bond brick with ashlar dressings and a slate roof with lead flashings. Three storeys with basement. Gardent front: three bays symmetrically disposed. The front appears to have been heavily altered c1850 at which time the lateral bay windows were added and the central bay given its ashlar enrichments. The central bay has a slightly recessed round arch which rises through three floors and cuts into the open pediment above. These appear to remain from Wyatt's design as do the Venetian window at first floor level and the Diocletian window to the second floor. All now have ashlar surrounds of c1850 with stone surrounded brick panels to the sides of the archway and a heavy ashlar surmount to the pediment. The ground floor of this bay appears to have been completely altered and has two lateral pairs of French windows with arched heads. To either side of these are the lower parts of the relieving arch which are of solid ashlar with niches containing Eastern statues of the Buddha. To either side are the bay windows which have slightly projecting centres and curved walling to the sides. The central basement windows have cambered heads and iron grilles. The central ground and first floor windows have round arched tympana containing terracotta panels. There are stone bands between the ground and first floors and at the level of the sills of the ground and first floor windows. All of the first floor windows have blind parapets below them and all of the windows in the lateral bays are of four panes. There is a stone parapet of c1850 with panelled piers to the angles and vase-shaped balusters. To the left is the service wing which was heavily remodelled c1875. This has a similar balustrade, the piers supporting models of putti and three projecting wings, the central one with a Mansard roof and those to either side being gabled with stucco strapwork in relief including masks of the Sun, at right, and the Wind at left. This wing connects at the far left to the base of the Water Tower (q.v.). Right hand return (now Entrance Front): five bays symmetrically disposed. Central bay window of c1850 similar to those on the garden front save that it has an ashlar porch with pilasters to either side of a round arch. Four- pane sash windows to whole of the facade. There is a similar balustrade to that on the garden front behind which can be seen a central pediment masked by the later bay window. Rear: Late C19 gabled porch supported on moulded ashlar console brackets and having a plaster shell-niche decorated with bull rushes and dolphins in relief. Interior: Entrance lobby of c1850 with Adamesque decoration including arched niches to the angles, panelled plaster ceiling and Pompeiian mosaic to the floor. Staircase hall with tiled floor, canted bay window and oak fire surround with terms to the sides and a panel of painted tiles showing the surrender of Calais all of c1875. Open well staircase of 3 flights with arcade of three arches to first floor of c1850. Drawing room: marble fire surround with caryatids bearing baskets on their heads and holding swags of flowers in their hands of c1755. Painted ceiling showing peacocks and arabesque ornament of c1875. Further ground floor room with painted ceiling having central oval showing a naval engagement of c1850. The bachelors wing of 1875 has a ball room with a pseudo hammer-beam roof the horizontal members of which extend to support obelisks with flame finials. Fireplace with tiled surround and wooden overmantel inscribed WHEN FRIENDS MEET HEARTS WARM. Gallery at western end. Billiard room: ingle nook fireplace with wooden fire surround supported by terms. Strapwork plaster to ingle-nook walls. Source: Nikolaus Pevsner & Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England: Cheshire

Listing NGR: SJ6764768250

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 67647 68250

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 01:08:26.