List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

List entry Number: 1137655

Location

CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityWeek St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67268

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEK ST MARY WEEK ST MARY SX 29 NW 6/83 Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary 29.9.61 I

Parish church. C14 south arcade, C15 aisles, late Clslearly C16 porch and tower, some chancel masonry looks C13. Substantial restoration by James P St Aubyn between 1876 and 1881. Porch, aisle walls and chancel slatestone, polyphant and Ventergan rubble with granite dressings, tower granite ashlar, granite window tracery. Slate roof. Largely perpendicular church of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. 5-bay aisle arcades each with 2 bays to chancel. Fine 3-stage, unbuttressed, battlemented west tower with band of carving on plinth and above and below each of 3 moulded string-courses. Plinth carving similar to Jacobstow but with added variants: some mouchettes in roundels, Star of David, crosses, pot of lilies. Similar carving below string-courses to other stages which have bands of lozenges above strings. West door-way shallow moulded arch below square-headed hood mould, quatrefoils carved in spandrels. Above door 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and band of lozenge decoration below sill. Plain statue niche to 2nd stage, 2-light belfry opening to belfry stage. North face, 2nd stage has sexafoil-headed niche below hood mould terminating in engaged finial, 3-light belfry opening and slit openings to light internal north-west stair. South face is show front with elaborate 2nd stage niche with vine-carved jambs and 3-sided canopy with engaged crocketted pinnacle. 3-light window to belfry stage. Further statue niche on east wall of tower. Tower battlemented with tall octagonal crocketted corbelled pinnacles terminating in crosses. Gabled south porch with moulded, granite, 4-centred, outer door arch carried on engaged shafts with unusual bulbous capitals. Square-headed architrave, mouchettes in spandrels. Sexafoil-headed niche with hood mould in porch gable. C19 panel and rib wooden porch roof. Inner door probably C14: deeply moulded polyphant with some evidence for unusual stops. Aisle windows 3-light Perpendicular-style granite tracery, aisle windows east, 4-light. East windows tall and sharply- pointed: 2 mullions, 1 transom, no cusping. North aisle has moulded string and north door with moulded arch and square-head, floral motifs in spandrels. Door has moulded battens and studs. 3-sided north stair turret has peaked granite cap. South chancel door with moulded triangular head possibly C14. South arcade to nave low polyphant piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows with elaborate mouldings above the capitals and moulded arches. North arcade and 2 east bays of south have granite piers of hollows and shafts, moulded capitals and 4- centred, shallow-moulded arches. Moulded granite tower arch carried on moulded shafts and capitals. Unceiled waggon roofs to aisles with moulded ribs, foliage bosses and vine-carved wall plates, some late C19 renewal. South aisle has flowers carved on ribs, north has vine carved on 3 east bays. Nave roof late C19 unceiled waggon. Choir stalls 1891, benches 1926-1930. Font probably C16 granite octagon with carvings similar to tower decoration on each face. Altered pulpit made up of panels of linenfold carving. Simple moulded C13 piscina in chancel. Kempe window in north aisle to Bertha Hoskins, died 1884. Good slate memorial to Humphry Sethick, died 1663 in vestry floor with inscribed angel. Good slate memorial to Margery Gayer, died 1679 fixed to interior north wall. Original rough-plank floor to 2nd stage of tower. Plans to remove partial ceiling in chancel, and to buttress east wall. Watercolour of church after 1881 restoration in vestry. Bell chamber not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX2372097714

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 23717 97716

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 07:25:37.