List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1136892

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, ST MARY'S GROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityNailsea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NAILSEA C.P. ST. MARY'S GROVE (north side) ST 46 NE 6/72 Church of Holy Trinity G.V. I 11.10.61 Parish church. C15, porch dated 1712, restored 1861, with church room in course of construction at time of survey (March 1985). Rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs, stone tiled roof to porch. West tower, nave, south aisle and chapel, south porch, chancel and north chapel. Perpendicular style throughout. 4-stage tower has pointed arched west door in moulded surround with hood mould, 3-light window above with hood mould and mask stops, 2nd stage has similar smaller 2-light window all sides, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-openings with stone tracery and hood mould, similar openings at 4th stage, clock at 2nd stage south with hood mould and string course; parapet with pierced cusped lozenges, gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles, north west octagonal stair tower, with lancets and similar parapet, pinnacles, spire and weathervane; plinth, weathered string courses, diagonal buttresses stepped up to top stage. 3-bay south aisle has two 3-light windows with hood mould to right, paired lancets with cusped heads and flat hood mould to left, buttresses, parapet and coping, 4-light east window with hood mould; bay to left has gabled porch with stilted arched chamfered opening and datestone "This porch was new built in the year 1712", raised coped verges, heavy door with raised fillets. Chancel has 3-light east window, paired cusped lancet with flat hood mould north and south, parapet and coping and cross finial. North elevation concealed by new building. Interior: tall pointed tower arch with broad wave and hollow mouldings, C20 panelled gallery across upper part, 4-centred arched door to tower; nave has 4-bay C19 roof of principal rafters, collars, one row of purlins and wall plate, principals rising from stone corbels, two 3-light windows to north and door with triangular head, 4-centred arched north door to stair, leading to left to stone pulpit, to right to former rood loft, octagonal pulpit on stem, each side with 2 blank panels, small 2-light cusped window above; 5-bay south arcade has wide pointed arches, piers with 4 shafts and 4 wide hollows, with thin shaft set within, broad band of foliage along the capitals, where rood loft ran, capitals have bull, angel and lion. South aisle and chapel have 5-bay shallow pitched roof with principals and 2 rows of purlins, some older timbers re-used, trefoil-headed piscina in south wall and shelf for image on mask corbel. Porch has one row of purlins and ridge purlin visible, inner door in similar moulded surround with hood mould, polygonal image shelf above. Chancel has wide pointed arch to north chapel (now organ chamber), shafts to sides with mouldings as in south arcade, 4-centred arched doorway to chapel by pulpit stair and squint to north; blocked 4-centred arched south priest's door, trefoil-headed piscina with crocketed hood and pinnacles, C19 stone reredos; 2-bay roof of similar construction to nave, small quatrefoil light above at junction with nave. Fittings: octagonal Perpendicular stone font in nave; C18 Royal Arms, painted stone with cherubs, over north door. Monuments in nave: stone tablet with verse, to Thomas Jenkins, Rector of Backwell, 1626; stone tablet with shield and cherubs, to Tobias Hart, 1722; marble tablet with draped urn, to Mary Simmons Coombs, 1815; slate tablet in carved stone surround with flowers and cherubs, to Sarah Walter, 1754; paired brass inscription plates, set in fine carved stone surround with 2 trumpeting angels, to Mary Bennett, 1727; stone tablet with paired panels and painted cherub, to John Baily, 1768; similar stone tablet with inset brass plate and shield, to Ralph Vigers, 1711 and Thomas Tyndall,1720. In south chapel a marble tablet with cornice, to William Bullock, 1780; marble tablet with pediment, to William Hinkes, 1747. In chancel, fine monument with Doric columns and scrolled broken pediment, to Richard Cole, 1650; ledger stones obscured by C20 platform. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4661369929

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 46610 69928

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 02:43:22.