List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY GATE COLLEGE, THE MAIN BLOCK EXCEPT THE GATEHOUSE

List entry Number: 1136660

Location

ABBEY GATE COLLEGE, THE MAIN BLOCK EXCEPT THE GATEHOUSE, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthoritySaighton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55369

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 SW SAIGHTON C.P. CHAPEL LANE (East side)

3/171 Abbey Gate College (formerly Saighton Grange), the main block except the gatehouse

GV II

House (now the main block of Abbeygate College), the right wing 1861 by Edward Hodkinson for 2nd Marquis of Westminster and the front wing built or extended 1876 for the 1st Duke. The Hall immediately behind the Gatehouse (q.v.) may be earlier C19. Red sandstone with roofs of banded shaped tiles. The 2-storey front wing, with 2 bays left of the Gatehouse and 3 right, of Tudor character has battlements, crow-stepped gables and tall chimneys with circular flues on weathered plinths. Windows with concave bevelled mullions and transomes and moulded reveals have large-pane wooden casements. Shaped framed and boarded oak door on ornate wrought iron hinges. The right wing (2 storeys) has 3 stone-fronted gables to half dormers on inner face and 3-storey cross-gabled terminal, left. Four tall ridge chimneys have round flues on weathered plinths. Large-pane timber casements; hollow-bevelled mullions and transomes and double-bevelled reveals. The hall (front wing) has Gothick double doors each of 3 panels, under a moulded arch. Ionic surrounds to 2 inlaid 6-panel doors, left; U-shaped stone stair with square iron balusters and a grooved handrail of hardwood, rear; Ionic colonnades of 2 columns and 2 end pilasters to each storey, right. Over the stairwell is a circular rooflight with 12 radial bars separated by segmental bars at circumference set in a plaster ceiling of square recessed panels.

Listing NGR: SJ4431261811

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 44312 61811

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:22:22.