List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1136639

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthoritySaighton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55367

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 PW SAIGHTON C.P. CHAPEL LANE (East side)

3/28 Church of St Mary the Virgin

1/6/1967 II*

Church with late Cll or early C12 chancel arch and, probably, masonry in nave and chancel; C14 and C15 windows; south chapel late C15; belfry, south porch, vestry and general restoration 1896 by W M Boden at expense of 1st Duke of Westminster. Squared, roughly coursed red sandstone in large blocks; slate roof; oak-framed, louvred west belfry on ridge with low, square shingled spire. Aisleless nave and chancel; four-centred archway from nave to chapel of 1 bay. Each respond of the chancel arch has 3 attached shafts, the outer two linked by 4 single beakheads which suggest Norse influence; the south capital has crudely carved foliage and faces - the north respond was renewed 1896. On the face to the nave of the porch arch (rebuilt probably C14) are 4 carved voussoirs with motifs probably derived from Norse sun symbols and from Romanesque palmettes. The font is a stone baluster with hollowed trough, probably C17. A pair of marble monuments stand in the south chapel: to Sir Robert Cunliffe, 1778, right, signed by Joseph Nollekens, with a seated putto holding a portrait medallion against a dark grey obelisk; to Sir Ellis Cunliffe, 1769, left, matching Sir Robert, but with a standing putto. Good stained glass, 1897, in the manner of the Arts and Crafts movement, in a plain inserted 3-light north window (Nave).

Listing NGR: SJ4376760548

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 43767 60548

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 03:22:06.