List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENGREEP HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136570

Location

PENGREEP HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityGwennap

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63249

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWENNAP PENGREEP SW 73 NW 6/149 Pengreep House 30.5.67 GV I Country house originally farmhouse before being enlarged. Built early C18, extended circa early-mid C18 for the Beauchamp family and further extended circa 1865 for the Williams family. Elvan ashlar wall except some rubble to rear. Hipped mostly scantle slate roofs with parapets to south east and north. Tall brick chimneys define original side to walls of house, now partition wall. Further chimneys to rear of wings, over side wall, south, and over cross wall to mid C18 range (north). Originally 2-room plan probably with rear stair turret and service wing. Extended mid C18 with 1 room to right (north) and kitchen to rear forming further garden front and possibly incorporating earlier service wing, now with mid C18 stair. Circa 1865 extension to left (south), 2-rooms deep and with stair and integral service room filling space between C18 wing, 2-rooms wide, and C19 rear south west room. It is possible that the C19 part to rear left replaces an early-mid C18 extension on the same site and that the ashlar facing and parapet cornice are reused from this. 2 storeys. Original house, and part of early-mid C18 extension, with basement and attics, with hipped roof dormers, to all the early-mid C18 part. South east front has taller regular C19 2-window part projecting to left and regular 5:3 window range to middle and right. Early C18 5-window part originally symmetrical has wider first floor middle window with 16 panes. Doorway originally directly under wide window, was moved circa early-mid C18 to fourth ground floor opening when 3- window part, right, was added to front. Basement as plinth, mid floor string and moulded cornice under plain parapet. Flat arches. Original mid C18 12-pane oak sashes with much crown glass and wide, internally ovolo-moulded, glazing bars. Basement is blind to C19 part and last bay of mid C18 part, right. Doorway is approached by wide flight of steps with ramped iron railing and finials. C18 6-panel door with blind overlight. Hood on brackets over. 5-window early-mid C18 north-east front, originally symmetrical and possibly originally with central doorway, now window, and window to left, now doorway, with pair of 2-panel doors between wooden pilasters. Similar detail to main front except there is no basement. Original sashes. Further C18 sash to gable end right. Otherwise original C19 hornless sashes. Interior Entrance hall is virtually complete survival of one of the two original early C18 reception rooms with moulded plaster ceiling cornice, fielded dado panelling and 8-panel door with HL hinges to semi-circular-on-plan niche to left of fireplace. Mid C18 fireplace surround and late C18 oval over arch grate. Original basement kitchen below has original rough-hewn oak cross beams and cambered chamfered and stopped oak fireplace lintel. Early-mid C18 shutters. Secret panel to right of front door, presumably using space vacated by window jamb splay. Rear passage beyond axial passage has dado with fielded panelling. Further early C18 7-panel resited door with fielded panes between axial passage and room to right of entrance hall. Other rooms in early-mid C18 parts of the house are almost complete of the period and have moulded plaster ceiling cornices, doors, architraves and window shutters. Rooms to main front, to ground and has oak panelling and fluted pilasters and entablature of the Doric order including triglyphs. Right-hand room also has oak panelling with key pattern detail. First floor rooms over are also fully panelled with original early C18 panelling and cornices to left and middle rooms and with dentilled cornice and eared fireplace inearly-mid C18 right-hand room. Steep service stair to inner part of rear wing is circa mid C18 with open well and chinoiserie balustrade. Kitchen of wing and passages not overlying basement areas have granite flagged floors. Original mid C18 kitchen dresser with entablature survives resited in axial passage and further similar dresser in kitchen. Victorian parts of the house are also very intact and good of their period including fireplaces, ceilings with cornices and bands, doors, window shutters, and open-well open-string stair with mahogany handrail. Although of 3 main periods this is a predominently mid C18 house and as such is a fine and complete example, retaining 3 virtually complete rooms of its earlier phase and with good quality circa 1865 additions.

Listing NGR: SW7475638794

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 74756 38794

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:08:56.