List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLEVEDON COURT

List entry Number: 1136517

Location

CLEVEDON COURT, TICKENHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityClevedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TICKENHAM ROAD 1. 5121 (North Side) Clevedon Court ST 47 SW 3/1 5.4.52. GV 2. Built by Sir John de Clevedon who died in 1336. Clevedon Court has been described as one of the most valuable relics of early domestic architecture in England. Alterations and additions include a new west wing by John Wake about 1570. Further alterations after 1717. The west front rebuilt 176l-88 and again 1862. Rebuilding after a fire in 1882 was achieved by the architect, C E Davis. The centre of the present south front belongs to the original house. 2 storey buttressed porch with plain parapet to right. Pointed moulded archway with portcullis. 2 storey projecting chapel range with original ogee reticulated tracery to left. The medieval hall with part of the original screens passage arrangement (entrances to kitchen, buttery etc) survives behind the 2 projecting blocks. The great hall window between these blocks is now in Tudor style but evidence of an earlier pointed arch with tracery exists above. The rest of the south front has gabled ranges in Elizabethan style with stone mullioned and transomed windows. Top storey windows in gables have pediments containing carved heads, finials above. Gable end on far right (ie to east) of front is in plain vernacular style with large chimney breast and paired diagonal stacks. Finials to sided of gable. To rear of east range is attached a further tall gabled wing. Various gabled ranges including kitchens and a 2-storey porch attached to rear elevation. Excellent interior of the main building periods.

Clevedon Court and all listed ancillary buildings at Clevedon Court (including the boundary walls) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST4225571572

Selected Sources

Other
Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 42259 71573

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:31:05.