List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CRIDA

List entry Number: 1136281

Location

CHURCH OF ST CRIDA, CREED

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityGrampound with Creed

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAMPOUND CREED SW 94 NW WITH CREED 5/24 Church of St Crida 10.2.67 GV I

Parish church. C12; extended mid-late C15. The tower was rebuilt in 1734. Restored 1904 by the then Squire of Trewithen. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings. Tower in squared granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends. Plan: The C12 church may have been cruciform in plan, with nave and chancel in one and a north and south transept. The north transept was probably rebuilt circa mid- late C15, at about the same time that the south aisle and the south porch were added. The west tower was probably of the late C15, rebuilt in 1734. Exterior: The nave is enclosed by the south aisle and the tower, only part of the north wall visible; this has a north doorway with 2-centred arch and chamfered surround in granite, plank door with grille, said to be "devil's window". 3-light window to west of the doorway with 4-centred arched lights, recessed spandrels and square hood mould, of C15. The chancel has east end with 4-light window, possibly of early C17, the 2 central lights taller, all with 3-centred arches, hollow-chamfered, with rounded arch and hood mould. To north, a 3-light window with rectangular lights and chamfered mullions and slate dripstone, probably C17. Also a 2-light C19 window with cusped lights and square hood mould, and a buttress of the 1904 restoration between. In the angle between the chancel and the north transept there is a polygonal stair tower for the rood stair. The north transept has 2-light C19 north window with cusped lights and square hood mould. Similar 3-light C19 window to east; attached granite momument with illegible inscription carved around the border, dated 1688. The south aisle is of 6 bays, including the south porch in the second bay from the west; on moulded plinth. All the south windows are 3-light, C15 Perpendicular, with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. The four bays to east have a 1904 buttress and attached slate monument with stepped nowy head, to Richard Brown, 1790. The bay to west has an inset carved stone with urn with stylised flowers, and urn with sheild. The west end has 3-light decorated style window with 2-centered arch and hood mould, with carved stone mask set above. The gable is stepped and built up over a small single light. The east end has C15 4-light Perpendicular window with cusped lights, Y tracery 4-centred arch and hood mould. The south porch is gabled, in squared granite with moulded granite wall-plate and kneelers to the gable. The outer doorway has triple shafts with carved capitals. The interior has granite paved floor and granite benches to sides. Stone roof with transverse vault with wall-plate and the main rib rising from corbels with primitive carved masks, panels in the bays with carved crosses. There is a stone block by the inner doorway with a carved consecration cross. The inner doorway has an irregular rounded arch, hollow-moulded with relieving arch and a shallow image niche above. Gate across and fine 6-panelled C18 door. The west tower is in 3 stages, on a hollow-chamfered plinth with set-back weathered buttresses, embattled parapet and large crocketed pinnacles. The west doorway has 2- centred arch with roll-mouldings and hood mould, plank door. Slate headstone set against the west wall, with nowy head, to Joanna Potter, 1819. Tall 3-light west window of three 2-centred arched lancets with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings of similar design to the west window with hood moulds. North side has lancets for stair. Interior: Plastered walls. Tiled floor at the east end. Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roof. South aisle and north transept have wagon roofs retaining C15 carved ribs and bosses and wall-plates, partly reconstructed in 1904. The tower arch is chamfered, 2-centred, with shafts to sides with convex capitals. 4-centred arched chamfered doorway to north to the stair, set above floor level. The nave and chancel have 5-bay arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals; the arches in the nave are rounded, 4-centred arches in the chancel, all moulded. The arch to the north transept is similar, with moulded piers and rounded arch. The north transept has a 2-centred arched doorway, and a corresponding upper opening above the arcade. In the east wall of the transept there is a C12 pillar piscina with chevron carving on the pillar and a trefoil hood over, which is probably later, of circa C14. Fragment of medieval wall painting above, with Gothic script. The north wall of the nave has a carved image bracket. The north door is probably of the C18, the grille or "devil's window" with a sliding hatch. The chancel has a piscina with trefoil arch; south aisle has piscina with wider trefoil arch. Fittings: Late C19 benches in chancel. C19 carved wooden lectern and reader's desk, incorporating part of an early rood screen. C19 coffin trolley in south aisle. C13 stone font in south aisle, octagonal bowl in Catacleuse stone, each side with 2 blind 2-centred arches, central stem with four outer shafts. Bell in south aisle, by Wm. Cockey, 1726. C18 plaster putto with wings in south aisle, probably remaining from a monument. Letter of thanks from Charles I, oil on board with bolection-moulded nowy- headed frame, in south aisle. Alms box on chamfered wooden pillar, probably C18 using earlier wood, by the south door in the south aisle. Royal Arms of George IV in the nave, with bolection-moulded nowy-headed frame painted in faux marbre. Four boards in the tower, wih painted texts, creed etc, oil on board with good lettering, signed W. Smith, 1816. Monuments in chancel: monument with convex oval slate tablet, plinth and Ionic columns with broken pediment and urn, to John Hughes, 1749; marble tablet on slate ground, to John Trevenen, 1829. In south aisle; a chest tomb with carved slate inscription plate and low relief shield of arms, to Thomas Denys, 1589 and Margaret, his wife, 1570; marble tablet in moulded frame with plinth on corbels and inclined painted shield of arms with helm, good lettering with Latin inscription, to Robert Quarme, 1708; marble tablet with Latin inscription to G.Q., 1728. Glass: The south windows and the east window of the south aisle retain fragments of medieval glass. The Ducys family monument in sources is not in the church. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9349047222

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 93491 47224

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:56:11.