List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1136159

Location

BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityBunbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56784

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 55 NE BUNBURY C.P. SCHOOL LANE

2/25 Bunbury Aldersey School

II

Formerly Grammar School for boys, 1874 (on entrance porch) by J Douglas, now primary school. The Grammar School replaced a school, near the church, which was founded by Thomas Aldersey in 1594. Red brick with slate roof, in Gothic style, single storey, 5 bays. Deep chamfered sandstone plinth. Projecting entrance bay has vertical panelled, studdied door, with false strap hinges in stone dressed opening with Tudor arch and ogee hood mould. This is surmounted by the date and shields with the inscriptions "Alnus semper floreat" and "serve and obey", these within a gabled apex with stone coping and finial. Metal fixed lights in stone mullion and transome windows with cusped heads and transome lights leaded. Large double transome multi-light windows to west and east gables. Terra cotta eaves dentil course supporting moulded cast iron gutter. Mid-roof lucarnes, with twin lancet openings and octagonal slate clad turret. Stone copings and finials to east and west gables. Interior: Hall roof has elaborate trusses with brackets to collar purlin and 4 posts above the beam. The ceiling is boarded. Plaques on gate refer to the Haberdashers Company, who own the school. Thomas Aldersey was a member of the Haberdashers Company.



Listing NGR: SJ5621457982

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 56214 57982

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 11:48:02.