List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1136127

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityHinton Charterhouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE

11/114 Church of St John the Baptist 1.2.56

G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, altered early-mid C13 and extended by south chapel and porch; tower restored 1770; north aisle of 1825; restored 1846 by Edward Davis of Bath and windows restored in 1897. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch, and chancel. Rubble and coursed rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate roof. Late C12 or early C13 broad west tower of 3 stages, the upper being C18, unbuttressed with small lancet windows and quoins to the lower stages and Gothick style Y-tracery to the bell chamber; embattled parapet and moulded cornice; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window and doorway. North aisle of four (1897) Perpendicular style windows under square hoodmoulds. Projecting, gabled south porch; the outer doorway has a moulded arch with a fillet, and stiff- leaf corbels, chamfered outer surround and a hood mould on carved head stops. South chapel: one plain lancet window in a deep embrasure and one 2-light late C13 style window with cusped lancets and a quatrefoil; 3-light east window with lancets to the outer lights and a trefoil to the centre. Chancel: one 2-light window with plain lancets and an unfoiled circle above and cusped rere-arch; a smaller 2-light window with cusped lancets and a sexfoil above; priest's door under an arched head and in a heavy outer moulding; C19 Geometric style east win- dow. Interior: 2 bay arcade with continuous chamfered arches to south chapel. Triple chamfered tower arch. 3 bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal piers. Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C12 tub shaped bowl enriched with a zig-zag moulding at the top. Monuments. Funeral hatchment in north aisle; and baroque style monument to Robert Painter, died 1735, fluted pilasters, gad- rooned bases, cherubs on plinth and heavily moulded cornice. Tower: John and Margaret Shutt, died 1668, inscribed plaque with memento mori tablet above. South chapel: Walter Robinson, died 1737, large tablet of grey marbles, inscribed plaque with pedimented top and side consoles: Painter family, 1809, coloured marbles, weeping woman and an urn. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)

Listing NGR: ST7765558308

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 77655 58308

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 12:38:18.