List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KING JOHNS HUNTING LODGE

List entry Number: 1135976

Location

KING JOHNS HUNTING LODGE, OLD FERRY DRIVE (OFF)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Windsor and MaidenheadUnitary AuthorityWraysbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5130 WRAYSBURY OLD FERRY DRIVE (off) (north side) King John's Hunting Lodge (formerly listed as Place Farmhouse) SU 97 SE 3/1 23.9.55

II*

2. Late C15 early C16 restored area 1930 and in 1978. Three storey timber framed house with two storey jettied porch linked to former aisled hall on south. Old tile gabled roof, plaster and brick nogging infill to timber framed walls, some replaced with modern brick. Modern leaded casements. Porch has four centred arch with quatrefoils in spandrels, first floor three-light window with wood mullions. Interior: is of interest and contains many original timbers, moulded beams, and a C16-C17 door with lambs tongue stops on ground floor. Main fireplaces on ground floor and first floor are C16 with four centred stone arches and foliage carving in spandrels. Hall, open to roof, is of uncertain date, two arcade posts with moulded capitals survive on south wall on either side of later fireplace. Extensively restored and remodelled in modern times, some re-used timbers and modern leaded casement windows, but with C14 scissor brace truss inserted with redundant moulded crown post. A moulded beam runs east-west on north end under a gallery and is of interest, probably circa 1500. Persner p.303. VCH 111 p.320. RCHM NMR.

Listing NGR: SU9963874530

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 320
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SU 99638 74530

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 01:22:55.