List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UFTON COURT

List entry Number: 1135879

Location

UFTON COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West BerkshireUnitary AuthorityUfton Nervet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40036

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPTON NERVET SU 66 NW 3/14 Ufton Court 25.10.51 G.V. I

House, now residential centre. Late C15, circa 1568, altered and partly refaced in late C17, further altered in C18, and whole restored in circa 1838 with some later alterations. Rendered timber frame with red brick refacing to rear, some brick additions, and old tile roof, in 2 ranges to left. Large irregular E-plan with central projecting gabled 2 storey porch and flanking projecting gabled wings. 2½ storeys. Entrance front: each floor jettied with moulded bressumers and brackets, and gabled eaves dormers with 3-light leaded casements, barge boards, and lead water spouts between with flanges inscribed 1664 FP. Large ridge stack off-centre to left with 3 shafts and pilaster shafting, 2 ridge stacks behind off-centre to left each with 2 shafts, stack off-centre to right at rear, end stack to left, and 3 end stacks to right, all with oversailing tops. 1:9:1 window front with 4 window return fronts; leaded casements, oriels on first floor with carved brackets and triangular pediments. Porch with paired carved Ionic pilasters flanking entrance supporting carved brackets and carved frieze with arched radial panels, and open sides with turned balusters; interior with side benches, moulded beams and set back 4-centred doorway with carved spandrels and large boarded door. Central 3-panelled door in left-hand return front and 6-panelled door in right-hand return front, both with moulded architraves. Garden front: moulded brick eaves cornice, carried across gabled ends with pent roof. Segmental headed leaded casements. Main elements included: projecting 2 bay gabled wing to left; central 3 bay hall with large cross windows and half glazed door to right with doorcase consisting of moulded architrave, fielded panel above, and cut brackets supporting triangular pediment; 5 bay block to right with gables over pair of slightly projecting end bays, and cross windows. Interior: very rich with fittings from the C15 to the C19. Main features include: screens passage with two 4-centred arched doorways and boarded doors, open hall with C18 panelling, fireplace, coved plaster ceiling with pendants, and C19 west gallery; ground floor rooms to right with C18 panelling, fireplace and moulded plaster ceilings; C16 square well 3 flight staircase to left of screens passage with square newels, turned balusters, and moulded handrail; former 3 bay kitchen with arch braced collar roof; first floor room to left with inlaid C17 fireplace overmantel consisting of 3 Ionic columns with arched panels between; first floor oratory in left-hand wing with painted wooden panelling, and Morris-like wall painting with magpies etc. in vestibule; several ingenious priest holes in various locations, mainly adjacent to stacks. Many other good internal fittings including panelling, moulded beams, doors, fireplaces, and 3 other staircases. This is one of the largest and most important timber framed houses in the county. V.C.H.(Berks), Vol.3, pp.437-443 (including plan); B.O.E. (Berks) p.246; The History of Ufton Court, A. Mary Sharp, Elliot Stock, 1892.

Listing NGR: SU6258866730

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 437-443
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 246
Sharp, A M, Stock, E, The History of Ufton Court, (1892)

National Grid Reference: SU 62588 66730

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:49:49.