List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1135842

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STABLE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityUtkinton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57458

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UTKINTON C.P. STABLE LANE SJ 56 NE (East Side) Cotebrook 6/32 Church of St John

GV II

Church: 1874-5 by G E Street. Tooled red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Red tile roof and pierced ridge. 4-bay nave under a steeply pitched roof, short chancel over a basement vestry and a small north-east tower. Small rectangular nave windows of 3 trefoil headed lights. Chancel has a sill band and 2 lancets over a basement with a door with a shaped Caernarvon arch and a 2-light chamfered mullioned window. East end is divided by a low buttress and has a triple lancet window with weak trefoil heads. Small rectangular tower in the angle between nave and chancel has buttresses to 1st storey. A band rises above the clock and above this are thin louvred lancet bell openings. Pyramidal cap with weathervane. West window has an interesting arrangement of 4 lancets with trefoil heads and a quatrefoil above. To left side is a chamfered and moulded 2-centred arched entrance to an internal porch with a simpler door. Interior: Nave contains the porch. Windows have splayed reveals and segmental heads. Arch-braced roof with cut wind-braced purlins. Chancel arch has a triple hollow chamfered moulding and the chancel is vaulted in brick with bands of stone. Memorial east window to Sir P de M G Egerton by Kempe 1882. C17 painting of the Adoration of the Magi over the altar. Octofoil font on cluster of 8 shafts.

Listing NGR: SJ5712565567

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 57125 65567

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:37:41.