List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1135747

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, WAVERTON VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityWaverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55540

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 SE WAVERTON C.P. THE VILLAGE (East Side)

2/28 Church of St. Peter

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: tower C16, aisles and nave roof early-mid C17, restoration and additions dated 1845, and 1888 by John Douglas when clerestorey rebuilt. Ashlar Waverton red sandstone, Lakeland green slate roof. 3-bay nave, 1-bay chancel with continuous north and south aisles. 3-stage west tower. Nave bays are divided by buttresses and have rectangular windows of 3 round-headed lights. On south side is a blocked basket-arched door and a late C19 window of 2 ogee-headed lights. Similar round-headed light windows in clerestorey. 3-light perpendicular-style east window with round-headed light windows in the end of the aisles. Tower has angle buttresses and good 4-centred arched west doorway with arms in the spandrels below a label mould on figure stops. Central figure seated on hood mould flanked by the arms of the Dutton and Hatton families. 4-light Perpendicular window of 1888, square opening with quatrefoil, under hood mould and louvred 3-light bell opening in the top stage, below an embattled parapet. Late C19 recessed, shingled pyramidal roof. Interior: Entry into re-opened tower porch with plaques recording the restorations. Tall tower arch on applied hexagonal piers opens into nave with 3-bay arcades on octagonal piers. Restored hammer-beamed roof dated 1635 with carved brackets and pendants has dentilled arrises to arch braces and window braced purlins. Contemporary lean-to aisle roofs have similar decorative treatment. Chancel is timber framed internally (perhaps copying original treatment) and has good fittings of late C19/early C20 including a memorial pulpit of 1903 to the 1st Duke of Westminster. Very detailed board of customary table of tithes in porch.



Listing NGR: SJ4618063355

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 46180 63355

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:49:30.