List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1135735

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West BerkshireUnitary AuthorityHampstead Norreys

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39929

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAMPSTEAD NORREYS CHURCH STREET SU 57 NW (South side)

9/20 Church of St. Mary 24.11.66

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, mostly rebuilt C13, extended and tower added C15, nave roof dated 1635; restored, largely internally in 1880 when the vestry and chancel arch were added by Arthur Baker. Roughcast and flint with stone dressings, old tile roof, the western part of the nave has a higher ridge. Nave, chancel, north vestry, organ chamber, north porch and west tower. Tower:- 2 stages divided by moulded string courses; plinth, C19 embattled parapet and western angled buttresses extended to nearly half the height of the second stage. On the west and south, below the first string course, are small windows with pointed heads, one on each face. On the west wall is a late C15 doorway with a 4-centred arch under a square head and an old planked door with plain iron hinges. Above it is a late C15 3-light window with tracery and a 2-centred head. In the north face of the bell chamber is a window of 2 trefoiled lights, with a 4-centred head. 2-light windows with 2-centred heads on the west and south faces. There is a rectangular stair turret on the north side reaching to the first stage. Nave; north side:- two C13 lancet windows in the east end, the first with a chalk head; the third and fourth windows are C19. Between the 2 lancet windows is a C12 doorway in a C15 porch, with chamfered jambs and a semi-circular arch, moulded abacus and a double billet moulded label. Nave; south side:- at the east end at high level, a small C15 trefoiled ogee light inserted to give light to the former rood loft. Further west are two 2-light C19 windows and a C12 doorway now blocked, with a semi-circular arch. Chancel:-two C13 lancet windows on the east wall and a restored plan lancet in the north wall; to the west of this is a C19 vestry doorway. On the south wall are 2 single lights, and between them a C13 priest's doorway, now blocked. Interior:- early C17 6 bay double trenched purlin roof to nave, with arch race collars, moulded pendants and scissor bracing above collar. A 3 bay early C15 double trenched purlin roof over chancel with arch braced collars and curved wind braces; the easternmost bray a planked barrel roof with cusped ribs, probably C19. The chancel arch is C19 with foliated capitals. At the east end of the north wall of the nave are the remaining stairs to the former rood loft. Near the west jamb of the north doorway, is a deep aumbry with rebated jambs and a bolt hole, and a damaged piscina on the south wall of the nave at the east end. Beside the C19 font, is an earlier marble font on a fluted shaft, which was given by Mr.Benj. Matthews in 1768. Fixed against the blocked south doorway, is an early C13 carved stone knight on horseback in low relief, contained in a glass case. To the east of this is a C13 wall painting of our lady. V.C.H. Yol.lll p.78 B.0.E. (Berkshire) p.150.

Listing NGR: SU5293376254

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 78
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 150

National Grid Reference: SU 52932 76259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:11:56.