List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOOD LANE HALL

List entry Number: 1134490

Location

WOOD LANE HALL, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE NEW ROAD SE 0423 & SE 0523 (north side, off) , 12/143 Sowerby 15.11.66 Wood Lane Hall - I House. Dated 1649 and 1651 incorporating parts of earlier frame and with late C18-early C19 alterations. For John and Elizabeth Dearden. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. Hall with cross-wings plan, 2 rooms deep. 2 storeys with cellar and attic; 3 bays, outer 2 gabled. Chamfered plinth, transomed double-chamfered windows with cyma-moulded mullions and some stanchions, string with decorative stops flanking windows, decorative-stopped dripmoulds to principal 1st-floor windows, coped embattled parapet with finials to merlons and coped gables. Between central (hall) bay and right bay is a 2-storey porch: doorway has fluted jambs on plinths, imposts, bi-cusped lintel carved with male head and '1649 IDED' above; it is in architrave of fluted columns on lozenge-decorated plinths supporting entablature with head in frieze, moulded cornice and ball finials; large 1st-floor rose window with mouchettes and some original leading and glass under dripmould with headstops dated 1651; fronting central finial is sundial; right return of porch has 1st-floor window and gutter spout. Central, hall, bay: tall 9-light window with king mullions and 2 transoms breaks string and has dripmould; to its left a doorway, formerly a window with chamfered lintel. Left bay projects and both this and right bay have a 6-light window with king million to ground and lst floors and a stepped 3-light single chamfered window with moulded cill to attic, left bay has a 2-light window to each floor of right return. Ridge stack at right end of hall has paired, corniced, diamond-set flues; 2 other stacks to right wing, on left of ridge. Rear: 3 gabled bays with 2-storey porch between right-hand bays. Plinth, double-chamfered mullioned windows transomed except for untransomed 2-light cellar windows, string. Porch: dog-kennel; arched light and 2-light windows above to either side; entrance is up steps on right return through chamfered quoined, Tudor-arched doorway; on right of porch a 4-light window. Right bay: a 2-light window to each floor. Central bay: a 6-light window with king-mullion; broken spout below; two 3-light windows above. Left bay: two late C18-early C19 2-light windows; on left, steps down to plain stone surround doorway. Gables have chamfered coping and finials. Left return: a 4-light and three 2-light windows to ground floor; string returned from front; two 4-light and one 2-light windows above; gutter spouts, each carved with a face or animal. Right return: sashes with glazing bars to 1- and 2-light flat-faced mullion windows. Interior: hall: full-height; large very fine chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace with fluted Ionic pilasters on lozenge- decorated plinths, cornices, wooden panel above carved with floral motifs and spiral frieze rises into cornice with knobs on frieze; gallery running round 3 sides has turned balusters set on carved panel; fine panelling with hearts and carved frieze; panelled doors with segmental-arched surrounds; elaborate moulded pilaster ceiling has decorative panels with pomegranates, shields and lions in-relief and fluted central boss. Front left room has chamfered segemental-arched fireplace with wooden leaf-carved panels above and flanking consoles; carved frieze to panelled walls. Kitchen, to rear centre, has very wide fireplace; in one section the 2 spine beams have moulded plasterwork on soffit with central lozenge and pomegranates; in the left end the spine beams are chamfered and the window has stanchions and leaded glazing. The right wing was altered late C18-early C19 and the ground-floor room has a bolection-moulded fireplace, large panels on walls, cornice; imported earlier dog-leg stair with spiral and decorative-panelled balusters. lst floor: chamfered Tudor-arched doorways; 3 original doors of 4 moulded panels and with butterfly hinges. Front left room has a good cyma-moulded Tudor-arched fireplace, moulded cornice and spine beams. Rear left room has ogee-chamfered segmental-arched fire- place; leaded lights to window; a King-past roof truss with vertical struts and continuous mortice in soffit of tie beam for former partition wall. At top of stairs to rear left is a section of early balusters. Another king-post roof truss visible in central rear room. The wheel window is identical to that at New Hall, Elland.

Listing NGR: SE0433723651

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 04337 23651

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:00:43.