List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1133985

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, NORTH DEAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLAND NORTH DEAN ROAD SE 084223 1/71 Church of St Stephen

II*

Church, 1863 by W. H. Crossland for Col. Edward Akroyd. Dressed stone, slate roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, south porch and transeptal chapel. Heavy offset buttresses to west front and between nave and chancel. Nave is of 5 bays with extremely steep roof. Clerestorey lancets and tall 4-light window in a free Early English style to west front above which is a roundel with figure of patron saint in high relief. The aisles have pierced trefoil parapet and bays separated by pinnacled buttresses. Each bay has 3 cinquefoil windows with hood moulds and decorative stops. South porch in western bay of nave has pointed relieving arch and decorated segmental tympanum. Gable over with damaged figure in niche. North transept with 2 lancets and large quatrefoil window over. Tall chimney with coupled stack rising from wall. Chancel is roofed continuously with the nave but a bellcote with paired openings stands over the join. The chancel has a 5 sided apse with tall lancets with colonnettes in each face. On south side small vestry with cusped headed priest's door. The whole has decorative hoodmould stops and much grotesque carving.

Interior: wide nave with waggon roof with differing arcades. That on the south side has moulded arches carried on cylindrical piers. On north side unmoulded arches carried on clustered colonnettes on square bases. The capitals carved throughout. The chancel arch carried on corbelled marbelled shafts. The chancel is tunnel vaulted with moulded ribs forming a star over the apse; foliated string beneath the windows and much shafting. Heavy arch to North transept which is filled by the organ. Above this a two bay arcade at clerestorey level. The lavish decorative scheme survives in part, chiefly paintings of saints on south wall of chancel and stenciling to lean-to ceilings of aisles. Other fittings include richly decorated pulpit with mosaic panels; wrought iron chancel rail and gates. Reredos with mosaic and good stained glass in west window and apse. 'The Building News', Vol. 7 (August 1861), p.649. 'The Ecclesiologist', Vol. XXIII (1865) P.368. R. A. Carter 'Guide to Yorkshire Churches', (Idle, 1976), p.20.

Listing NGR: SE0847322321

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Carter, R - Title: A Visitors Guide to Yorkshire Churches - Date: 1976 - Page References: 20
  2. Article  Reference - Title: The Ecclesiologist - Date: 1865 - Journal Title: The Ecclesiologist - Volume: 23 - Page References: 368
  3. Article  Reference - Title: August - Date: 1861 - Journal Title: The Building News - Volume: 7 - Page References: 649

National Grid Reference: SE 08473 22321

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 02:38:15.