List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUNNY BANK

List entry Number: 1133970

Location

SUNNY BANK, 25-29, SUNNYBANK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338560

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for 1/136 SUNNY BANK ROAD (south side)

Nos 25 to 39 (odd)

The item shall be amended to read:

Nos 25 to 29 (odd)

------------------------------------

ELLAND SUNNYBANK ROAD SE 087212 (south side) 1/136 Nos 25 to 39 (odd) (Sunnybank) (Formerly listed as Sunny Bank) 24.1.68 II*

House in more than one occupation, mainly mid C16. Timber framed exterior with hammer-dressed stone and stone slate roof. The house is essentially a long, gabled 2-storey block divided into two parts by a cross-passage. The north elevation has 3 main gables all with king-post trusses with 'V'-struts. The two gables to the right are probably to the main hall with parlour wing, separated from the service end by a cross-passage which has a small gabled entrance with a lower ridge level and with a large stack backing on to it from the hall range. This northern entrance has ornate doorway with ogee lintel and herringbone studding to uprights. The south front shows marked differences in levels and materials. The service end is of 2 bays and 2-storey with stone wall with exposed king-post truss and has flat faced C19 mullioned windows inserted into earlier C17 wall of 5 lights with 4-light window over to left bay and 3-light windows to both floors to right bay which has quoins and a continuous outshut with cat-slide roof to north side. The end of the cross-passage has timber framing of close-studding to first floor with angle brace to wall plate and down post. The left hand two ranges to hall and parlour are gabled as at north side with exposed trusses with many 'V'-struts and have a higher roof line than cross- passage/service end, the posts are visible built into stonework with girding beam to first floor. This is an important surviving partly timber framed building of quite complex development as evidenced by 3 different rooflines. In fact the house was not built all at once; this is clear from the timber posts in the south wall and the cross-passage which are not placed where they should be to support the existing structure. The oldest part of the structure can be seen at the south-end of the cross-passage. A timber post resting on a stylobat carries a bressumer and wall plate, and it is clear from the pegholes that these members were continued on both sides of the post, although they are now only visible on the west side. The next post to the east is 13' away. Pegholes on the bressumer indicate that there were once studs below as well as above it Presumably these were removed when the house was extended, because it was then that the cross-passage was made.

The deeds show that in 1472 the house came into the ownership of Thomas Wilkinson and in 1544 it passed to Henry Savile of Bradley Hall (q.v.). It would appear that the Saviles rebuilt the house before 1517, because they were rebuilding Bradley Hall in stone by that date. It seems most probable that the greater part of Sunnybank dates from c.1550. A more thorough survey of the older part might indicate its date; some- thing prior to 1400 is not improbable. J. Lister, H.A.S.(1902), J. Leyland, 'Views of Ancient Buildings of Halifax' (1819), T. F. Ford, Thoresby Soc. Miscellanea, Vol. 28 (1928) p.16. J. Bolton, 'Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District' (1955). L. Ambler, 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire' (London 1913) p.4. N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.626. A. Pacey 'Elland Buildings' (1964 unpublished - V.A.G. Library, or Elland Public Library , 2.01.

Listing NGR: SE0879321204

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 4
Leyland, J, Views of Ancient Buildings of Halifax, (1879)
Pacey, A J , Elland Buildings, (1964)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 626
Walton, J, Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District, (1955)
Ford, T F, 'Thoresby Society Miscellanea' in Thoresby Society Miscellanea, , Vol. 28, (1928), 16
Other
(1902)

National Grid Reference: SE 08793 21204

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 07:15:39.