List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HIGH BENTLEY

List entry Number: 1133765

Location

HIGH BENTLEY, GREEN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHELF GREEN LANE SE 12 NW (west side) 1/92 High Bentley 1.11.56 G.V. I

House. Late medieval timber-framed interior belonging to the 2nd half C15 encased in stone 1661 with added rear kitchen wing c.1665 to north. Hammer dressed stone, stone slate roof. Hall and cross-wings plan of 'U' shape to south with wings projecting and 'T' shaped to north with rear kitchen Wing of single cell form. North Elevation will be treated as 3 cells. The 1st cell is 2-storey kitchen wing, 2nd aisle of hall, 3rd cross-wing. Main entry to north is contained at junction of single storey aisle with kitchen wing and has doorway with decorative ogee lintel inscribed 'RW 1661' set within a tressure,over is small lunette. To right are 2 chamfered mullioned windows of 3 lights one with stepped light with ogee one-piece lintel. Set between in small gable is triple light formed out of an ogee. Right hand cross-wing flush with hall range has double chamfered mullioned windows of 2, and 5 lights to ground floor with 4- light over. Quoins to the angle. Right hand return wall is blind with lateral stack with quoins. South front has quoins to 2-storey cross-wing and reads from left: inserted C19 doorway double chamfered mullioned windows of 6 lights with hoodmould and stepped light of 2/4 lights with hoodmould in gable. Right hand return wall has lintel for former 2-light window now forming doorway (blocked). Over is complete 2-light window with hoodmould and coped gable with kneeler (remaining on left hand side only). This abuts on to single storey hall range which has 12-light mullioned and transomed window (with inserted doorway occupying 3 lights) with hood over. 3-light window (to right of central truss in hall, probably lighting fire area). Outermost bay has C19 doorway taken out of mullioned window of which 3 lights remain over is 4-light window, shorter and of different character (lacking central mullion). Leanto porch built onto projecting wall which has quoins of cross-wing (now gone). Large central stack of ashlar to ridge. Porch protects Cl7 doorway with square lintel, chamfered surround and stops. 2-storey kitchen wing at right angles to main entry has 2- light fire window and 5-light double chamfered mullioned window and 4-light window to 1st floor. Coped gable with kneelers, gable stack.

Interior: Single aisled hall of 2½ bays of which the ½ bay at the upper end of the hall was occupied by dais canopy. Evidence for former firehood. 2-bay cross-wing is comtemporary with hall, central truss has been moved further along wall plate. Dais canopy sprang from a brattished rail pegged to the e. wall of cross-wing. Service bay is hipped. The aisle is partitioned off from the nave but open in the hall. In C17 a kitchen wing was added at right angles to service bay, destroying medieval aisle and remainder of building in stone firehood replaced by present stack with decorative lintel inscribed 'RW, IW'. over which was fine plasterwork. This house is very important as it is the only complete Yorkshire aisled hall which retains both its service and solar wings in timber framing. The stone casing is of high quality. It was a large hall to a shrunken medieval settlement the platforms of which are still visible in the field immediately to the north. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London 1967), p.481. R. C. N. Thornes, West Yorkshire "A Noble Scene of Industry" (Wakefield 1981), p.12. Lister Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society, (1905), p.241.

Listing NGR: SE1312728517

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Date: 1905 - Page References: 241
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Thornes, R C N - Title: West Yorkshire: A Noble Scene of Industry. The Development of the County 1500-1830 - Date: 1981 - Page References: 12
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding - Date: 1967 - Page References: 481

National Grid Reference: SE 13127 28517

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 09:15:01.