List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1132872

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SheffieldMetropolitan AuthorityBradfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335349

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK29NW BRADFIELD CHAPEL LANE (north side), Midhopestones.

3/25 Church of St. James.

25/4/69 II*

Church. Probably of medieval origin, rebuilt 1705. Gritstone rubble, poorly coursed on north and south walls, rough-ashlar porch, stone slate roof. Nave and chancel in one, south porch. Single storey, 3-bays (interior). Vernacular style with double- chamfered mullion windows, plain leaded lights, moulded kneelers, gable copings and apex ball finials. Gabled porch to left has an early cross-boarded oak door, heavily studded and with decorated strap hinges. Quoin reveals and flat 3-centred arched lintel, all moulded. Lintel date GBB 1705 with lead plaque above bearing the Bosvile coat of arms. To right : 3-light chancel window. North wall buttressed with 2-light chancel window. East window : tall, 3 lights. West gable : 3-light window to ground floor with 2-light to gallery. Interior : well preserved interior of 1705. 2 rows of box pews and panelled dado (partly renewed). Heavily carved C17 pulpit. Oak stairs and balustrade to west gallery. Profile-cut wall posts of small-scantling, trusses above have tie beams sawn off and purlin ties added although the western truss retains a moulded and soffit- morticed collar which may represent an earlier closure at this end. A complete king-post truss against east wall. Pre-reformation altar slab removed to Penistone Church. Initials on lintel are of Godfrey and Bridget Bosvile. Godfrey Bosvile of Gunthwaite Hall in Penistone parish purchased the manor in 1690, he was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1705 and remodelled this church in that year. D. Hey and P. Ryder, 'St. James' Church, Midhope', Archaeological Journal vol 137, pp 459-460. Porch illustrated in : C.F. Innocent, The Development of English Building Construction, 1916 p.228.

Listing NGR: SK2350099538

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Innocent, CF , The Development of English Building Construction, (1916)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 137, (1956), 459-460

National Grid Reference: SK 23500 99538

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 08:59:35.