List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1132236

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireCravenDistrict AuthorityArncliffe

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324586

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9271 - 9371 ARNCLIFFE

22/2 Church of St. Oswald 20.2.58

GV II

Church of St. Oswald. C15 west tower; nave re-built c1800 and restored 1841; chancel rebuilt 1843. 1840's work by Anthony Salvin. Tower of limestone rubble, nave and chancel of coursed rubble with grey slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, lower 2-bay chancel. Tower: of two stages with offset diagonal buttresses; a 3-light restored perpendicular west window, clock to south side; belfry windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under a continuous hoodmould; restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner finials. Body of Church has offset buttresses, 2-light perpendicular style windows, low porch with 4-centred archway, and 3-light east window. Interior: tower arch has attached octagonal columns and a pointed arch of two orders, one concave and one straight. Blocked windows, probably from the c1800 build, are visible on the north and south walls of the nave. A very wide depressed pointed arch to the chancel. 6 queen-post trusses to nave roof, with cusped decoration. East window glass by Wailes of Newcastle.

Listing NGR: SD9331571986

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 93315 71986

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 03:59:15.