List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1130685

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityDunham-on-the-Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55398

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 47SE DUNHAM ON THE HILL C.P. CHESTER ROAD (WEST SIDE)

5/15 Church of St Luke

II

Church. 1860-1 by James Harrison in early C14th style. Sandstone, slate roof. Nave and chancel with bellcote at west end. South porch, north and south vestries. 3 bay aisleless nave windows have pointed heads and reticulated tracery. 2-light nave windows have plain leaded lights. 4-light west window and 3-light east window have stained glass. Outer porch doorway has hood mould with returned stops. 3 niches within porch, one on left, 2 on right, have pointed heads. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, stone gable parapet, stone crosses at east end of nave and chancel. Interior: Timber screen has linenfold panelling. Pine pews. Octagonal stone font inscribed and dated 1863 has octagonal pedestal and base. Octagonal timber pulpit Panelled screen behind altar. Cross designed by G.G.Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry. High Victorian style with heavy relief. Elaborate gilt cross, brought from above choir screen, Chester Cathedral 1921. Pevsner & Hubbard.

Listing NGR: SJ4722773075

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 47227 73075

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 11:30:14.