List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1130666

Location

THE OLD HALL, LITTLE HEATH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityChristleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NW CHRISTLETON C.P. LITTLE HEATH ROAD (East Side)

3/14 The Old Hall (formerly listed as The Rectory)

4/6/1952 GV II*

Formerly hall, later rectory, now house: early C17 with late C19 extensions and brick skin. Ruabon red brick skin to earlier timber framing. Welsh slate roof. 2 gable brick chimneys. 2 and 3-storey, 7-bay front. Left 2 bays of 2 storeys, an addition with sashes. Remainder has a nearby symmetrical front, with plinth and ball-finialled end pilasters on the body and on the corners of a central 3-storey gabled projection. Windows are 12-pane sashes under cambered brick heads, the upper ones in gabled half dormers. To left is the original but moved heavily moulded wooden doorcase with carved base stops and a studded oak 4-board door. Interior: Entry into hall made from 2 rooms. Resited C19 4-centred arched stone fireplace with original Jacobean overmantel with strapwork and perspective panels, one with a unicorn rampant, one with an eagle in a tree. Ceiling panels between heavy beams, have strapwork borders and central panels. Ceiling carried on posts with carved and shaped heads. 6-panelled doors with raised fields in bolection moulded architraves. Parlour to right has restored oak wainscotting above a painted dado with raised fields. Late C19 Jacobean fireplace and overmantel. Ceiling has original Jacobean cornice and strapwork panels. Beyond the hall is the "Pillar Room" with 2 pairs of carved mahogany balusters supporting central ceiling beam, with heavy Victorian stucco work. Resited Jacobean oak well staircase in former gabled porch. Shaped flat balusters, square newels with carved finials, and restored handrails. On 1st floor is main chamber, now known as the library. This has the best ceiling, the beams plastered to form a dentil cornice. Good strapwork details, central panel with a pendant, 6-panelled Jacobean doors (some restored) throughout this room.

Listing NGR: SJ4418765714

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 44187 65714

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 01:26:26.