List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1130643

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, LONG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityFoulk Stapleford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55513

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 SE FOULK STAPLEFORD C.P. LONG LANE (North Side) Hargrave

2/3 Church of St. Peter

1/3/1967 II*

Formerly chapel and school, now church: dated 1627, bell turret and vestry added, and restoration of 1877. Ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof with pierced ridge. 5-bay nave and chancel in one range, south porch and vestry. Diagonal buttresses at the corners and bays of nave divided by stepped buttresses. Stone copings and finials. 3-light chamfered stone mullioned windows with round-headed lights. Porch projects under coped and finialled gable. Massive chamfered lintel over restored studded oak board door with planted strap hinges. Above in cyma-moulded surround, are arms and plaque reading:

"Thomas Moulsone of ye citty of London, Alderman, built this chappell upon his owne cost and charge Ano Dmi 1627".

At right end is priest's door in chamfered surround. Blocked 6-light mullioned and transomed east window. West end has chamfered stone doorcase with original studded oak 4-board door with strap hinges 4-light window above. Interior: Simple but with hammer-beam roof sprung from stone corbels, with carved console and pendant. Wind-braced purlins. No chancel arch. Re-used C17 and C18 panelling in some pews. Remaining fittings including painted bas relief reredos, early C20.

Thomas Moulson, was born at Hargrave, and later became Lord Mayor of London. His chapel included the school until 1833.



Listing NGR: SJ4853862215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 48538 62215

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 08:11:21.