List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1130574

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPENHURST LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityCapenhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55644

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37 SE CAPENHURST C.P. CAPENHURST LANE (South Side)

4/1 Church of the Holy Trinity.

1/6/1967 II

Church: 1856-9 by James Harrison, tower and much of interior of 1889-90 by John Douglas (Pevsner and Hubbard). Red sandstone blocks with ashlar dressings. Purple tile roof. 4-bay nave, south porch, 2-bay chancel, vestry and 3-stage west tower with spire. Coped gabled porch with kneelers has moulded 2-centred arched doorcase with label mould. Remaining bays of nave are divided by heavy buttresses and have 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and label moulds. Chancel with diagonal buttresses and sill band has 1 and 3-light windows with trefoil heads. 4-light Decorated east window. Squat tower is buttressed and has octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner. 3-light west window with Edward VII Coronation clock above. Around the top is a timber-framed stage of 6 by 2 small frames with weather boarding below and pierced Gothic panels (now much damaged) above. This carries a broached spire with small Lakeland slates and a louvred lucarne. Interior: Arch-braced collar roof to nave, sprung from stone carved-head corbels. Splayed reveals to the windows. Broad low tower arch reveals font behind. 2-centred chancel arch on octagonal responds. Scissor-braced wagon roof. Panel to sides of good stone reredos carved in manner of medieval tiles with Ten Commandments inscribed above, in Arts and Crafts style script.

Listing NGR: SJ3679673789

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 36796 73789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:49:36.