List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PEEL HALL

List entry Number: 1130527

Location

PEEL HALL, GONGA LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityHorton-cum-Peel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55738

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NE HORTON-CUM-PEEL C.P. GONGA LANE (West Side)

2/34 Peel Hall (formerly listed as Old Peel Hall) 22/10/1952

GV II*

Formerly mansion, now farmhouse: dated 1637 for Henry Hardware IV but substantially reduced in size by 1812. Tooled ashlar Manley sandstone, hipped Welsh slate roof and 2 massive stone chimneys on the main facade. 1 brick chimney with C17 style stacks on lesser range. Artisan Mannerist. Original probably a large rectangular house with short crosswings facing east, now L-shaped. 3-storey over basement, symmetrical 5-bay south garden front. Moulded bands at 1st and 2nd floor and on the blocking course. Large blank chimneys to either side of the 3-bay centre. The central bay also projects slightly and has a door approached by 4 steps. Late C19 restored Tuscan architrave to a moulded stone doorcase with a fanlight with stone mullions. All the mullions are half round to the front, cyma-moulded to the rear. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in moulded surround and a 4-light mullioned window in the blocking course above the doorcase. Remaining bays have mullioned and transomed windows on the ground and 1st floor only. Right end bay has modillions at the cornice and the right side has a 2-storey canted bay window. North and east fronts show the remains of a sumptuous great hall at 1st floor level. Semi-circular headed doorcase with strapwork in the spandrels and an ornate date plaque reading ANO 1637 DMI below a blocked Venetian window motif with a segmental pediment. To the left is a column capital and voussoir of a doorcase, similar to one hidden internally. The latter has an elliptical medallion flanked by Renaissance pilasters showing above on the east front. This front also shows the large moulded fireplace of the hall and 2 blocked doorcases, one above the other, at the right end. 3-storey, 4-bay west front (slightly reduced in height) has a mixture of 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. Added late C19 porch hides a blocked 4-centred arched doorway. Interior: Entry from south front into a room with restored and probably moved open well oak staircase with 2 levels of pierced splat balusters, a moulded handrail, square newels with finials and the base of the balusters on the open string. To the front is a blocked semi-circular headed doorcase, formerly into the great hall. To the right is a moulded stone doorcase and the room contains a chamfered 4-centred arched fireplace. Basement below has a blocked depressed arch to the fireplace. Minor range contains a fine semi-circular arched doorcase on plain columns, with a slot to contain a wooden screen. This is carried below on a massive corbel. The remaining features are vernacular, some exposed beams and doors with 2 moulded panels.

An intriguing portion of what must have been a fine Jacobean mansion, where the east entrance front and the northern crosswing have been demolished, leaving the remains of a central 1st floor, 2-storey hall of some magnificance, showing only as a number of blocked openings on the outside walls. Its advanced plan can be compared to the contemporary Raynham Hall, Norfolk. Col. Roger Whitley entertained King William III here, on his way to Ireland and the Battle of the Boyne.

Listing NGR: SJ4984169755

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49841 69755

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 11:32:30.