List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1130422

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HEATH ROAD SOUTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HaltonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56069

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

SJ 58 SW WESTON Heath Road South 5/112 Parish Church of St John the Evangelist II* Parish Church. 1896-7 by John Douglas. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs, stone slab to spire. W steeple, nave, S porch, narrow N aisle, storeyed chancel built over vestries, N organ chamber.

Exterior: Steeple tower with 2 massive W buttresses with set-offs, shallow buttresses to the S breaking through nave roof. 2-light W window under hood-mould; stubby broach spire with gabled 2-light bellfry openings to cardinal points, the sills brought down below level of spire eaves. Nave wraps around tower; single lancet to W wall. Groups of flush lancet to S wall, also to N aisle which is contained under catslide roof and stops short of W end of nave. Porch approached by steps with retaining walls; prominent gable coping and apex cross; 2-centred moulded arch under hood- mould. Chancel: storeyed and much higher than nave with single tall lancets to side walls (paired to sanctuary), and shouldered paired lancets to vestry below. E window triple lancet under hood-mould; 2 lancets set low to vestry. Organ chamber-simply treated with tall chimney stack at junction with chancel. Interior. 4-bay nave; windows in deep reveals; 3 arches at W end define baptistry, that to the centre taller than the others. Roof: side purlin with braced collars to principals; wind braces. The N aisle con- struction is original and striking: arcade posts and plate (the latter with inscription), with straight braces, tie stub with straight brace from post to principal; ashlar pieces. Raised chancel with 2-centred moulded arch; arched-brace boarded roof. Fittings: choir stall robust, open fronted, each bay with central turned baluster; polygonal stone pulpit with Cruci- fixion panel; octagonal font, stone; organ (1898) by Alexander Fry; glass by Percy Bacon Brothers.

A bold and original design; the church occupies a very exposed site. It was financed in part by subscriptions raised world-wide by choirboys and became known as the 'Choirboys' Church'. It is similar in design to Douglas's church at Maentwrog (Merioneth) and was illustrated in the Architect (64, 1900, p.248).

Listing NGR: SJ5088180490

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect' in The Architect, , Vol. 64, (1900), 248

National Grid Reference: SJ 50881 80490

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 07:14:19.