List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1130417

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, PIT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HaltonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 58 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES PIT LANE Farnworth

2/94 Church of St. Luke

30.5.63 II*

Parish Church 1190 with C14 tower and alterations in C17 and C19. Red sandstone with slate roof. Square west tower 5 bay nave,side aisles, a south transept and chancel narrower and less lofty than the nave. Entrance porches are opposite in north and south aisles. Tower has corner buttresses, curvilinear west window and smaller louvred windows to all faced at bell-stage. Aisle windows curvilinear or lancet forms but there are perpendicular windows in the chancel and south transept. Clerestorey windows are pitched dormers, very little stained glass. The tower, chancel and transept are crenellated and the chancel has crocketted finials. Interior arcade gothic arches supported on octagonal columns with exception of the 2 north east bays which are circular with stiff leaf caps and common to the memorial chapel. The chancel has choir stalls with poppyheads. Oak screens separate the chapel from the north aisle and nave and the choir from the organ chamber. The chancel has a fine panelled oak ceiling and the nave braced collar trusses. The chapel contains good alabaster and marble monuments from 1635 and 1822.

Listing NGR: SJ5170687751

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 51706 87751

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 11:50:15.