List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1130249

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityOfford Cluny and Offord D'Arcy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OFFORD DARCY HIGH STREET TL 2166 (WEST SIDE) 7/10 CHURCH OF ST 14. 5.59 PETER I

Medieval church originally of C12 nave, chancel and North aisle. In C13 the chancel was rebuilt and in C14 the South aisle and West tower and spire were added. The North aisle was rebuilt in C15. The North arcade and West tower and spire are noteworthy. The Church is principally of pebble and freestone with Barnack dressings. Late C14 West tower with broach spire. Embattled with gargoyles at angles and of three stages on splayed plinth. Late C14 West window of three cinquefoil lights in two centred head. Hollow chamfered reveals. Similar hollow chamfers to two cinquefoil light bell stage openings in each wall. Broach spire of Barnack ashlar. Two tiers of gabled spire lights. In late C15 the nave roof was raised and clerestorey added. The line of the original gable can be seen in the South West wall. Clerestorey in South wall of four windows of two trefoil lights in four centred heads. C14 South aisle. C19 slate roof, gabled with modern parapet and C14 band of carved ball ornament and two beast gargoyles at eaves height. Three windows of two cinquefoil lights with flowing tracery. C14 South porch, restored. Outer arch two centred and of two chamfered orders on chamfered and stopped responds. C14 inner arch to South aisle doorway. Two wave moulded orders in two centred arches. Label with filleted moulding and mask stops. C19 roof. C13 chancel. Each side has one C15 window and one C13 lancet, reset. C13 South doorway. Late C15 East window. Interior. C13 North arcade of three bays. Round headed, roll-moulded arches on square piers with square abaci and attached shafts at angles. Each shaft has cushion capital. C14 South arcade of four bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on columns formed of four attached filleted shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Roofs of nave and aisle are C19. Fine C13 piscina at East end of South aisle, open on two sides with marble, octagonal column at angle. Two-centred arches with trefoil heads. Rib vaulting with mask boss to soffit, and drain of shell form. late C16 chancel arch. Two- centred and of two chamfered orders. Inner order of half- octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. C13 double piscina in South wall of chancel with opening above. Monuments C14 slabs in North aisle with male and female figure; in South aisle to Richard Nailour (1616). Alabaster kneeling figures flanked by doric pilasters with entablature and segmental pediment. Part of C14 screen. Head of seven bayed screen between nave and chancel. Each bay with tracery to ogee heads and roundels to spandrels. R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p188, mon. 1 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p298

Listing NGR: TL2166766416

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 188
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 298

National Grid Reference: TL 21667 66416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 10:57:26.