List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1130123

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityWood Walton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 28 SW WOOD WALTON CHURCH END

6/80 Church of St Andrew

28.1.58 II*

Former parish church, now redundant and in the Care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. C13 south arcade of nave, C14-C15 West tower, C14 chancel, and early C16 north arcade, but much of the fabric was rebuilt in 1856-9. Coursed limestone rubble with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Plan of West tower, nave with north and south aisles and chancel. West tower embattled of three stages with later, four stage diagonal buttressing. Restored west doorway in pointed arch and west window with ogee tracery in two centred arch. Second stage has a lancet window and the bell stage two light opening with trefoil head in two centred arch with label. Nave with C15 clerestory of four windows to each side. Two trefoil lights in square head. South aisle has three windows, all C19. Two trefoil lights with ogee tracery in square head. Labels with mask stops. Gabled south porch, C19, has niche with sculpture of St Andrew in stone. Chancel south wall has two C14 windows of two trefoil lights each with ogee tracery in square head with label. C19 East window of three graduated, trefoil lights in two centred arch. The north wall retains a C13 window of two lights with y tracery. Interior: south nave arcade of four bays. Two centred arches of one unmoulded and one chamfered order on round columns with moulded capitals and bases, except for one which is octagonal. North arcade is also of four bays, early C16. Two centred arches of one continuous chamfered outer order and an inner order also chamfered on half octagonal attached shafts to the responds of narrow piers with embattlement and blank shields of arms to the capitals. Much of the inner wall material is of C19 brick, plastered. Chancel arch, two centred of two chamfered orders, the inner on a corbel. However there is medieval stone on either side of chancel arch. C19 tiled floor to chancel and sanctuary. In the chancel there are two early-mid C19 wall monuments to members of the Hussey family. The font is Victorian in C15 style. There are some C12 tomb slabs against west wall of nave. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p369 R.C.H.M. Hunts. mon. (1) V.C.H. Hunts Vol. III



Listing NGR: TL2088882168

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 369
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: TL 20888 82168

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 10:24:53.