List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1129940

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityTilston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55187

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 SE TILSTON CHURCH ROAD (East side)

1/46 Church of St Mary 1.3.67 II*

Church, C16, on site of earlier church (Rectors since 1301), with probably earlier work in tower. 1659 Leche chapel. Major rebuild by J Douglas, 1877-79, including new chancel, vestry and nave roof. Red sandstone with steeply pitched tile roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, north doorway, chapel and vestry. 3 bay nave has deeply recessed 3- light mullion windows with Perpendicular hood moulds between stepped buttresses with splayed plinths. Perpendicular hood moulds to north and blocked south doorways. Sundial on south-west buttress. Embattled tower with stepped corner buttresses, low pitched early Tudor west doorway with hood mould. Blocked south doorway. Deeply recessed pointed window with reticulated tracery and bell openings. Canopied niche over west doorway. Figure stops to hood moulds, figure gargoyles. Interior: Beam inscribed "PW (ARBURTON) 1618 AW (ARBURTON)". Reused Elizabethan coffering in chancel. J Douglas scissor truss nave roof. Slat baluster altar rail and gate, gate dated 1677. Altar table (altered) dated 1677, and C18 early Georgian octagonal pulpit. Most glass is C19, some early medieval painted glass. (Pevsner and Hubbard, Richards).

Listing NGR: SJ4574350582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 45743 50582

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 01:31:55.