List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1129936

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SARN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityThreapwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55180

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 44 NW THREAPWOOD SARN ROAD (East side)

3/39 Church of St John 1.3.67 II*

Church, formerly an extraparochial chapel 1815. Brick, slate roof. Rectangular intact Georgian church. West end has pedimented gables and brick pilaster strips at angles and either side of central moulded pedimented doorcase which is in timber. Brick band at eaves level, gable modillions. East end is plain, north and south sides are symmetrical, with 5 windows with stone cills, brick heads and iron glazing bars, 2 to each side of door; one blind window over door, which has moulded timber doorcase. Brick plinth is chamfered and has moulded stone caps at angles. Octagonal open cupola at west end has ogival lead roof, and finial. Interior: Iron galleries with timber rail round 3 walls supported an iron columns broken at west end by pedimented panelled timber niche with scroll brackets over door. Similar iron altar rail and front to pews. 2 box pews at sides of altar for the patrons, the Broughton and Kenyon families, have brass name plates. Panelled timber reredos in 3 parts, bearing Lords Prayer and Credo to left and right and extract from Exodus in divided central panel. Moulded cornice continues as base of gallery. Octagonal pulpit, reading desk. 2 brass chandeliers (1817). Pevsner and Hubbard. Richards.

Listing NGR: SJ4400245329

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Richards, R - Title: Old Cheshire Churches - Date: 1973
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 44002 45329

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:32:43.