List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1129915

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityDodleston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55226

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 36 SE DODLESTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD (South east side) 2/30 Church of St Mary

1/6/1967 II Church, lower stage of tower early C16; remainder of church rebuilt by John Douglas, 1870, in Perpendicular style. Red sandstone with graded grey slate roofs in two parallel ridged spans over nave and north aisle. Two-stage tower with short spire within the crenellated parapet; nave with north aisle; chancel; north vestry; half timbered gabled north porch. Panel tracery to east windows; square headed north and south windows with cusped tracery. Interior. Four-bay nave arcade on octagonal columns; arched braced trusses to nave roof; painted chancel roof. Fragment of a medieval coffin and a framed royal coat of arms (1660) mounted on west wall; beneath the tower, tomb of Sir Thomas Egerton Baron Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley (died 1617), and of his wife Elizabeth dated 1588 (Latin inscriptions). Octagonal font, probably C17. Late C19 stained glass in east window. The church adjoins the site of a motte and bailey castle.

Listing NGR: SJ3618860927

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 36188 60927

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 09:21:03.