List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASHTON COURT MANSION AND STABLES

List entry Number: 1129841

Location

ASHTON COURT MANSION AND STABLES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityLong Ashton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 57 SE LONG ASHTON ASHTON PARK

5/89 Ashton Court Mansion and Stables 13.10.52 G.V. I

Country house, now used for public purposes. C15; altered and extended c.1635 (the south-west wing); late C18 and early C19 remodelling and alteration of c.1885. Rendered with freestone dressings; slate roofs with coped verges; coped parapets with moulded eaves cornice. 2 storeys and attics. The South- West Facing Elevation consists of projecting wings to the north and south and a recessed centre. In the centre is the core of the mediaeval building: three 4- and 2-light windows with cusped ogee heads, under square hood moulds on the ground floor and with 4-centred heads above (all early C19, restored); attics in 2 steep gables with finials; central porch tower of ashlar with an embattled parapet; a later single-storey porch projects, with panelled gothick pilasters, and an embattled parapet with pinnacles, pointed arch doorway with carved spandrels. To the left is an advanced 2 storey, 2 bay section (it obscures another bay of the core, one gable of which can be seen): one 4-light Perpendicular style window and other 3-light cross windows with moulded mullions and surrounds. The north (library or billiard-room) wing was remodelled c.1805: 3 bays; ashlar on the ground floor with 4-light windows as the centre; rendered on the second floor with 2-light windows, string courses between each floor; two gables with blocked bullseye windows and surmounted by paired circular chimneys with moulded cornice and caps; at the left end is a polygonal ashlar turret with an embattled parapet; on the gable end is a 2 storey canted bay which is Gothick glazing bar sash windows with ogee heads and in moulded and panelled ogee-headed architraves; the north side of the wing has 3 Gothick glazing bar sash windows under ogee heads. The south range matches the north wing but is 4 bays and without the bay window on the gable end: South-East Facing Elevation. Central 3 stage and attic gatehouse: late mediaeval but extensively remodelled, especially in the C19; ashlar; flanking polygonal stair turrets with plain parapets and single and 2-light windows with trefoil heads; panelled doorcase with arcaded frieze and panelled and traceried door; 4-light window on second stage, 3-lights on third under an arched string course; stepped gable and central clock. To the left is the rendered classical wing of c.1635: 5:3:2:3 bays of large pane sash windows under alternating triangular and segmental pediments on the ground floors and cornices on brackets on the first floor; 2:5:2 bullseye windows to the attic storey and a fretwork frieze with ball finials on the pedestals; the basement has 3 paired shell-headed niches and 2 oval panels. To the right is the 7 bay, ashlar, music room wing: 4-light cross windows on ground floor, 3- and 5-light windows on first floor, all with cinquefoil heads and under square hoodmoulds; buttresses between the bays; embattled parapet with pinnacles. The Stables Wing faces north-east: ashlar; 2 storeys; 3:3:3 bays with an embattled central parapet and plain side parapets; polygonal turrets flank the centre, lancet and cross-loop.windows; central 4-centre headed doorway and blocked 4-centre headed coach-entries to each side (now with inserted 3-light cusped windows); the outer bays have a similar doorway with flanking 3-light cusped windows, circular pitching eyes to centre of first floor. Interior. Inner Porch has a Vaulted ceiling, Great Hall: blocked 4-centre headed doorway to north-east in a moulded surround; 2 large 4-centre headed, moulded archways to south-east and west, the latter leads to the dog-leg staircase which has a closed string, twisted Ionic balusters and a cornice and handrail with classical moulding; elaborate gothic fireplace with panelled piers and embattled top, moulded surround, gabled overmantel with a decorative tympanum, gothic style iron grate. Refectory or kitchen: 3 bay arch-braced collar beam roof with 3 tiers of windbracing (restored). Library or-billiard rooms in a Gothick style; arcaded walls with ogee heads, finials and pendants; elaborate cornice and ceiling with a panelled centre surrounded by 8 drawn-out ogee panels; Corinthian columned marble fireplace; china cupboards with gothick glazing. Inner Hall: bolection moulded fire surround with a reset datestone of 1691. Drawing Room (Long Gallery): large bolection moulded fire-surround with Ionic columns (remains of C17 frieze survive in another room); on the first floor is an elaborate marble fireplace with Corinthian pilasters, a plain frieze, and a central open pediment with carved embellishments of fruit and flanked by half swan-necked pediments. Large and small Panelled Rooms: raised and fielded panels with raised borders; bolection moulded fireplaces under pulvinated friezes; panelled doors in shouldered architraves. Vaulted Hall: fan vaulted roof with a cylindrical central pier. Music Room: coffered ceiling; linenfold panelled walls; two ashlar fireplaces with moulded 4-centred arches and large hoods supported on twisted and panelled piers; central segmental headed niche. Stables: the southern part has elaborate cast iron gothic style loose boxes with panelled sides. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5570971837

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Other
Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 55709 71837

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 08:38:09.