List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY

List entry Number: 1129575

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityStowey-Sutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32829

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 55 NE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY 5/89 Church of St. Nicholas and Mary 21.9.60 II

Anglican parish church. C15 and C19 alterations. Squared and coursed sandstone to tower and chancel, squared and coursed red sandstone and lias in alternate bands to nave. Ashlar to tower parapet, freestone openings and copings, slate roof to nave, plain tile roof to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch. Nave south wall has 2 recut cusped light Perpendicular windows under flat hoodmoulds with lozenge stops, 1 blocked Tudor arched window and one single light triangular headed C19 window. 2 similar Perpendicular windows to north wall. Chancel on both north and south walls has a recut 2-light perpendicular window. Chancel north wall has in addition a Tudor arched doorway with C19 plank door and above, a mediaeval statue of God the Father set in shallow niche. C19 three- light Perpendicular style east window. Junction between nave and chancel on the north side has a quoin carved with shears: symbol of the Wool Staplers' Guild. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, polygonal north east corner embattled stair turret and pierced lozenge parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has a tall 3-light Perpendicular window to 1st stage. Moulded stringcourses, 2 cusped light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing and hoodmoulds, moulded cornice below parapet with fine gargoyles, one to each, face including a ram's head. Gabled north porch with Tudor arched doorway, plain C19 north doorway and plank door. Interior. Nave has double chamfered tower arch and C19 wagon roof on mediaeval wall plate. C19 double chamfered chancel arch with C19 open rafter roof with transverse tie beams. Fittings. Nave at tower arch has an octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels. Charles II coat of arms dated 1660 over north door. 3 fine wall monuments on south wall to the Jones and Sandford families: earliest to William Jones (died 1748) by Thomas Paty. C19 Perpendicular style pulpit. Over the chancel arch and on chancel walls are fine 1915 canvas murals depicting the Day of Judgement and scenes from Christ's life by Henry Strachey. 1846 floral stained glass in east window. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5991859438

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 59918 59438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:36:55.