List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1129438

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityMarshfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSHFIELD C.P. CHURCH LANE ST 7873 14/22 Parish Church of St. Mary 3.3.61

G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, rebuilt c.1470 in Perpendicular style; restored 1860 by C.E. Davis of Bath, 1887, 1902-03 and north aisle in 1950. West tower: Nave with clerestorey; North and south aisles; Chancel; south porch. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roofs, slate to the nave. Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses, open parapet pierced with trefoils and pinnacles, south-east polygonal stair turret; 2-light Perpendicular windows to the bell chamber under hood mould with stops; west door, C19, moulded surround. North aisle: 4 square headed Perpendicular windows of 4-lights with reticulated tracery much restored in 1860; buttresses between; 5-light east window. South aisle: unusual Perpendicular windows of 3-lights, cusped 4-centred heads and embattled transoms fin the tracery, mouchettes; all under a 4-centre head and hood mould; the hood moulds are linked by a string course; projecting window of 5-lights marks a former chantry tomb; blocked priest's door with 4-centred head; buttresses and angle buttresses. South porch: coped gabled porch with saddle stone and cross finial; double chamfered door surround under hood mould; sundial. Chancel: Perpendicular windows similar to those in the south aisle; restored 3-light east window; diagonal buttresses. Interior: Mutilated image niche over south door, C20 statue. C19 Perpendicular style south door with square head, quatrefoils in spandrels. 3 bay Nave, semi-cylindrical shafts alternating with wave mouldings, round moulded capitals; Perpendicular roof on carved corbel heads; easternmost bay of south arcade has blocked round headed window. Chancel arch dies into the wall; 2 choir bays, in part of the space of the former central tower, similar mouldings to the Nave piers; single bay to sanctuary, pillar piscina and late Perpendicular triple sedilia. North chapel: restored Perpendicular pillar piscina. South chapel: mutilated image niche south of the east window; piscina reset over C19 priest's door. Font: C15, octagonal bowl decorated with quatrefoils and shields; restored. Pulpit: Jacobean, restored; carved oak on ashlar base. C17 Holy Table. 1725 Bristol style brass chandelier. Pews with doors of 1860. Screen, 1925 by Sir Harold Brakspear. Monuments. North chapel; aedicular forms to Gibbes, 1723 and Long, 1747, Baroque tablet and cartouche to Gostlett 1692 and 1698. North aisle: Ince children, 1809 by T. King of Bath, tablet with draped urn; William Webb, 1733 and after, engaged Corinthian columns, open segmental pediment, gadrooned base and heraldry. South aisle: Holister, 1821, Greek tablet by Tyley of Bristol; Tyler, 1749, draped arm; Helsam, 1749, cartouche; Bearpacker, 1719, plaque under arms; Briscoe, 1694, cartouche with cherubs under swan neck pediment. Chantry: C. Webb, 1676, Corinthian columns and heraldry; also N. Webb, 1670.

Listing NGR: ST7821473675

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 78214 73677

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 01:42:37.